Run Wild: Race for Open Space 5K
Connect with your wild self on this run through the wide open spaces of Hickory Grove Conservation Area. This 5K trail race journeys through woodland, prairie and riverfront habitats with stunning views of the native fall wildflowers and grasses in full bloom, and the beginning of the leaf color change of the oaks and hickories that line the wooded trails. This electronically timed, looped course features moderate terrain that will provide an exciting and challenging experience for runners of all skill levels.
NOTE: Children ages 5-13 must be accompanied by an adult that is also registered to participate in the run. Adults are responsible for their children before, during and after the event. We ask that the younger participants as well as walkers start at the back of the group.
- $35.00 adults/$20.00 children through October 4, 5:00 p.m.
- $42.00 adults/$20.00 children on race day; register onsite 7:00 a.m.to 8:00 a.m. (cash or check payment only)
Your registration fee includes the race fee, race t-shirt, race bib, and race day snacks.
- Parking is onsite at Hickory Grove Conservation Area (500 Hickory Nut Grove Ln., Cary)
- If needed overflow parking will be at Fel-Pro RRR Conservation Area (1520 Crystal Lake Rd., Cary, IL 60013), a 1.5 mile distance from the race site. A free shuttle service will be provided before and after the race. Last shuttle will be at 11:00 a.m.
- Friday, October 4 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at Prairieview Education Center (2112 Behan Rd., Crystal Lake, IL 60014). To pick up in person, you must be registered by Wednesday, October 2 at noon.
- Saturday, October 5 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. onsite (500 Hickory Nut Grove Lane, Cary, IL 60013)
- Everyone who registers for the race by Monday, September 9 will get a t-shirt in the size requested. After September 9 we will do our best to fill t-shirt orders until we run out. Sizes cannot be guaranteed after September 9.
- Overall top male and female finishers
- Top male and female finisher in each age group: 5-8, 9-13, 14-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- Awards ceremony will commence at 9:30 a.m.
This event will occur rain or shine. Event cancellation will occur if weather conditions warrant it unsafe to be outdoors. If cancellation must occur, all participants will be notified by email and phone by 7:00 a.m. race day. Should cancellation be necessary, refunds will not be given for the race registration fee.
For more information and answers to frequently asked questions:
Visit our website page: http://www.mccdistrict.org/rccms/run-wild-5k-faq/
Call or email us: Education@mccdistrict.org (815) 479-5779
Adults and Families
Hickory Grove Highlands Site at Hickory Grove Conservation Area
McHenry County Conservation District