Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Carmel, CAHighway 1 at Rio Road Carmel, CA 93923
The Big Sur International Marathon offers a course that features incredible beauty combined with a serious challenge for most runners and faster walkers. Staged entirely on Highway 1, runners are treated to panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean to the west coupled with the pastoral beauty of the coastal mountain range to the east. There are many hills on the course and you should plan on adding at least 20 minutes to your average marathon finish time.
Event details and schedule
Four non-guaranteed random drawings are available for registration between July 15 at 9 AM PDT and August 11 at 11:59 PM. They include:
- Groups Drawing: for groups of 2 to 15 people. Either all or none will be selected. When registering, each member of a group must enter a unique group name to be used as an identifier. Registration open from 7/15 through 7/23.
- Loyalty Drawing: for those who have finished the 26.2-mile marathon at least once and been listed as an official finisher. Registration open from 7/26 through 8/5.
- Locals Drawing: for those whose primary residence is located in Monterey County. Registration open from 7/29 through 8/7.
- First-Timer/Bucket List Drawing: for those who have never completed the 26.2-mile Big Sur Marathon. Registration open from 7/31 through 8/11.
Winners of these four drawing categories will be notified via email between July 25 and August 12.
On August 12 a "Last Chance" drawing will open for all individuals who would like a final chance for an opportunity to register for the 26.2-mile Big Sur Marathon. This drawing opportunity will close on August 20.
If eligible, you can enter more than one drawing but you can enter each drawing category only once.
There is no entry fee to enter any of the drawings.
Winners of the drawings will be sent a private registration link within 24 hours of lottery acceptance notification and will have six days to complete their marathon entry registration.
Some things to consider:
- The marathon has a strict 6-hour time limit which translates to a 13:45 miinute-per-mile pace. The marathon course is difficult with a lot of hills and the possibility of strong headwinds. You should plan on adding at least 20 minutes to your time run on a flatter course. If a runner does not reach marathon mile 21.2 by 11;50 AM they will be stopped and transported back to the finish. They will not receive a finisher medallion or official time.
- We do not allow pick-up of your race packet by another person unless you fill out and give them a Packet Pickup Authorization Form. You will need to pick up your packet IN PERSON either on Friday, April 24 from noon to 6 PM, or on Saturday, April 25 from 9:30 AM to 6 PM. There is no race morning pick-up. Please make your travel plans accordingly.