Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
BETTENDORF PARKS AND RECREATION1609 State Street Bettendorf, IA 52722
This activity is on hold to further registration.
Saturday May 2nd from 10:00am-11:00am @ the YWCA in Rock Island
Friday May 10th 4:00pm-7:00pm @ Bettendorf Life Fitness Center
Saturday May 11th 9:00am-3:00pm @ Splash Landing
- Must be 15 years old by May 9th
- Must have access to a computer/the internet to complete 8 hours of coursework online
- Must have a picture ID to bring on the first day to prove identity (can be a school ID) and something with a birth date on it (driver licence/permit or birth certificate)
- Must be able to swim 300 yards (12 lengths of the pool) either breaststroke, front crawl (free style) or a combination of both
- Must be able to tread water without using arms for 2 minutes
- Must be able to get a brick off of the bottom of the pool (11 ft) and swim on back with both hands holding the brick back to the side (20 yards)
Class description: This is an American Red Cross Lifeguarding course that will be taught in a blended learning format meaning part of the class will be done online. On May 2nd, participants will come to the YWCA in Rock Island to prove that they are able to perform the physical requirements necessary for success in the class. If the time listed does not work for a participant, we can work to find on hour time frame that will work for them. From May 2nd-May 7th participants will have access to online modules that they will need to complete before the start of the class on May 8th. On May 8th, participants will meet at the Bettendorf Life Fitness Center where they will practice and be tested on CPR/AED/First Aid skills. On May 9th, participants will meet at Splash Landing where they will practice and be tested on in-water lifeguarding skills. If Splash Landing is not ready on May 9th, we will use the pool at the YWCA in Rock Island. If participants pass both written tests and can complete all of the skills to the objective, they will receive a Lifeguarding/CPR/AED/First Aid certification from the American Red Cross valid for 2 years.
Disclaimer: Taking this class does not guarantee employment with the City at Bettendorf at Splash Landing or the Bettendorf Life Fitness Center
Instructor Information: Meghan Flynn email@example.com