Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
Katherine Fleischer Pool2106 Klattenhoff Dr. Austin, TX 78728
We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Wednesday, March 18, 2020.
Provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over. If you're 15 or older and looking for a great summer job or a challenging career that is in demand, the Red Cross Lifeguarding program is the place to start. Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you will learn patron rescue and surveillance skills, first aid and CPR/AED.
This course is ideal for lifeguards looking to work at a traditional still water pool. This course teaches professionalism, patron and facility surveillance, victim recognition, equipment-based rescues, and caring for head, neck and back injuries. Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the following American Red Cross Certifications
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (Valid for 2 Years)
Must be at least 15 years old on the last day of class, and able to pass the following swimming test:
- Swim 300 yards continuously unassisted
- Two minutes treading water (legs only)
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using a front crawl or breast stroke, surface dive 7 to 10 feet. Retrieve a 10 lb. object, return to the surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point and exit the water without using a ladder or steps. This must be completed within 1 minute and 20 seconds.
To be eligible for two-year certification, you must:
- Attend all class sessions
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities
- Demonstrate competency in the three final skill scenarios
- Pass the final written exam by 80%
- Participants will receive a full reimbursement for the entire cost of the course if hired by the District and remain employed for a minimum of 45 days.
Katherine Fleischer Pool at Katherine Fleischer Pool