The third annual Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway, hosted by Mayor Kasim Reed, is back! Get ready to lace up your shoes and run or walk the fifth runway at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. Experience this special opportunity to race on one of the flattest – and fastest – courses in metro Atlanta!
Event details and schedule
When registering, you must use your legal name on your government-issued ID. All registrants will be vetted by AIRPORT and federal security agencies prior to the RACE based upon the submission of each participant’s name and birth date and that being successfully vetted is a prerequisite to RACE participation. Individuals whose name does not match their government-issued ID and those who cannot be screened will NOT be able to participate in the Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway.
There is NO same-day registration. Registration has been extended to Thursday, Sept. 28, 2017 at 6 p.m.
- 5K participants have one hour to complete the race. The runway must be cleared of race participants by 7:30 a.m. All runners and walkers must maintain a per-mile pace of 18 minutes, 30 seconds. Participants who are unable to maintain this pace will be diverted to a shorter route so they are able to complete the event by this time. There will be NO EXCEPTIONS, as this is a Federal Aviation Administration requirement.
- Chip timing will be used.
- All participants will receive a race bib, commemorative T-shirt and medal (upon completion).
- There will be limited space for participants to warm up or stretch before and after the race.
- Walkers are encouraged to walk to the right, allowing runners to pass on the left.
- Only timed runners will be considered for an award.
- Men’s and women’s overall awards are available.
- Awards for the top men and women in each age group are as follows: 10-16; 17-24; 25-29; 30-34; 35-39; 40-44; 45-49; 50-54; 55-59; 60-64; 65-69; 70+
- Top team award (fastest combined overall score, can be a combination of men and women). There is a minimum of five members per team.
- Largest team award, which can be a combination of men and women.
Transportation and parking
- There is NO public parking or participant drop-off at Fire Station 33.
- FREE parking will be available at the Georgia International Convention Center (GICC). Parking is limited and carpooling is highly recommended. Shuttle service from GICC to the race course will begin at 4 a.m. and end at 5:45 a.m. Return shuttle service from the race course to the GICC will be available after the race, with the last shuttle departing at 9 a.m. from Fire Station 33.
- Directions to the GICC: http://www.gicc.com/directions.asp?show=1
- MARTA is highly recommended and will begin north and southbound rail service at 4 a.m. When exiting the train, follow signs to the shuttle pick-up location. The shuttle service will be available from the Airport MARTA station to Fire Station 33 starting at 4 a.m. and ending at 5:45 a.m.
- Drop-off location for Uber/Lyft/Carpool: Technical Campus, 1255 South Loop Road, College Park, GA 30337
UBER Discount Code – Mayors5K17 (Cap M and K)
LYFT Discount Code – MAYORS5K
(Codes are case sentitive)
Limited quantity available. 20% off your next ride.
Max savings of $5 per ride.
Discount applies to fare and Prime Time charges only.
Valid between Sep 30, 2017 3:30AM and Sep 30, 2017 9:30AM.
Pickup or drop-off must be within the coverage area – (Coverage area is .6 mi radius from airport/technical campus)
Link to the discount code along with usage instructions - https://www.lyft.com/invite/mayors5k
- If you cannot attend the race, don’t sweat. We offer a virtual race/runner option in registration. Complete the 5K on your own time and at your preferred location. You will receive a commemorative T-shirt and medal.
- The Mayor’s 5K on the 5th Runway is a USATF-certified 5K course and AJC Peachtree Road Race qualifier.
- For questions about the race, email ATL5K@atl.com or contact 404-382-2369