AADVS 3rd Annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes EventOctober 01 - 02, 2015 University of Mount Union Corner of Rockhill and State Street Alliance, OH 44601 View Map Organized by Alliance Area Domestic Violence Shelter, PACE, Inc
Save on this event with ACTIVE Advantage
Your Advantage member discount automatically applies at checkout
University of Mount UnionCorner of Rockhill and State Street Alliance, OH 44601
Domestic violence affects millions of families every year. For many years, violence against women has been seen as a “women’s issue” but is a human issue. Everyone has a responsibility to talk about serious, sensitive issues and set examples by the lives we lead. It is important to recognize that actions and decisions that we make every day and the words we use have the power to help shape the way women are viewed and treated by society.
There is an old saying: "You can't really understand another person's experience until you've walked a mile in their shoes." Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® asks participants to literally walk one mile in women's high-heeled shoes. This event is not only for men, though! Women and children are welcome and encouraged to join the walk as we make a collective voice to end domestic and sexual violence in our community.
You probably know her. Someone you know or someone you care about, has been or may become the victim of domestic violence. It may be your mother, your sister, your friend, your girlfriend, your wife, your coworker, or your daughter.
- One out of four women are beaten or raped by a partner during her lifetime.
- Three women are killed by a current or former intimate partner each day in the United States.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
- High-profile cases of domestic violence will attract headlines, but thousands of people experience domestic abuse every day. They come from all walks of life.
- Domestic violence is a pervasive, life-threatening crime that affects millions of individuals across the United States regardless of age, economic status, race, religion or education.
Help us spread the word. It’s important for survivors to know that the abuse is not their fault, and they are not alone. Help is available for those who suffer from domestic violence.
Invite others to join you at the walk or ask for their financial support. We have a goal and are aiming to make this event a huge success. Our goal of $5,000 can happen by spreading the word. Help us spread the word about the serious issues of domestic violence by participating in this fun filled event.
Event details and schedule
Join us on Thursday October 1! Registration will be from 5:00 - 6:00 with the walk starting at 6:00. We will walk a mile in our community to show our support for survivors and to raise awareness. Together we can end domestic violence in our community!