Frying adds fat and produces acrylamide, a chemical that's been identified as a possible carcinogen.
Good: Baked Potato Chips
- About 40 fewer calories and eight grams less fat per serving, but white spuds aren't exactly a superfood.
Better: Bean Chips
- While they have more calories than baked chips, they also have about four grams of protein and five grams of fiber per serving, so they're more filling.
Best: Kale Chips
- Fiber and vitamin A, plus calcium for bone strength, vitamin C to grow cells, and vitamin K, which may help bone growth. Bake with a dash of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
The Bad Habit: Typical Store-Bought Breakfast Muffin
Packaged muffins are often made with white flour and an overload of sugar. A large three-incher has approximately 550 calories!
Good: Homemade Wheat-Germ and Fruit Muffin
- Wheat germ is a good source of fiber and protein, and doing your own baking lets you control sugar. Our muffins have only 120 to 130 calories.
Better: Two Scrambled Eggs, One Package of Plain Instant Oatmeal
- Eggs are a complete protein, and having them in the morning may kick-start your metabolism. Adding healthy carbs holds off hunger until lunch.
Best: Omelet Wrap
- Use one egg and one egg white to save about 40 calories (compared with two whole eggs), veggies for low-cal fiber, one tablespoon of cheese to make it a little indulgent, and a whole-wheat wrap.
Looking for more of the best, easy-to-find foods around? Check out our list of the 125 Best Packaged Foods.
Three simple ways to tip the odds—and the scale—in your favor.
It spurs the release of serotonin, which can help soothe stress. Higher serotonin levels have been linked to healthy CRF levels, which helps reduce your risk of backsliding.
Start on a Saturday.
Mondays are chaotic, and studies show that exerting self-control in one area can make it hard to sustain self-control in other areas.
Create a visual aid.
When The Biggest Loser's Tara Costa trained for an Ironman triathlon to be held in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, she wore a bracelet that said "KONA." Whenever she reached for treats, she'd see it and think, Will this help me be an Ironwoman?
Stay in shape in a fitness class.