The IronMed Triathlon and 5K is a fundraiser for the Hoya Clinic, a non-profit medical clinic run by the Georgetown University School of Medicine. The Hoya Clinic provides primary care access to families and individuals living in Washington D.C.'s largest homeless shelter and draws the vast majority of its funds from this one fundraising event. Please visit the event website to learn more about the IronMed Triathlon or the Hoya Clinic website to learn more about its mission. Thank you!
Event details and schedule
DATE CHANGE!!! The EVENT is now on SUNDAY APRIL 9th, 2017. Times are still the same.
Hello IronMed Athletes!
We are excited for this year’s IronMed Triathlon and 5K event this upcoming Saturday, April 8th. A few things to keep in mind as race day approaches:
The IronMed Tri (Individual Open and Group Relay) are now CLOSED. We have reached capacity. IronMed 5K is still OPEN! Please sign up! Also, Refunds for Date Change will Stop after April 2nd. Online Registration for the IronMed 5K closes April 2nd. If you still want to participate please come day of to register and pay to participate.
Triathlon Info (750m Swim, 12mi Bike, 5K run)
1) Packet Pickup which includes your T-shirt, bib number will be from 10am-1pm or 5pm-7pm on Friday, April 7th OR race day from 5:30am-6:45am at Yates Field House at Georgetown University Campus.
2) The first wave of the triathlon will start at 7:00am! Yes, this is bright and early, but a great way to start your day. We will be starting the swim portion of the event in waves. There will be two participants per lane for a total of 16 people in the pool per wave. Exact start times and the breakdown for each start wave will be released no later than Friday ,April 7th.
3) For the tranisition from swim to bike, the path is a gravel road, which we will try to keep clean. However we are REQUIRING all triathletes to bring SANDALS, FLIP Flops, or Shoes or transition in the Yates locker rooms so that no one accidentally steps on any sharp objects.
4) If you plan on driving to the event, parking will probably be easiest if you park on the street nearby Georgetown's campus and walk to Yates Field House. Additionally, there are parking garages available on the Georgetown campus however you will need cash or credit to pay to park there.
The transition will be located behind Yates Field House right by the pool. The bike portion of the event will proceed down the hill from Yates field house and will connect onto the Capital Crescent trail. From there the bike will be an out and back course for a total of 12 miles. The 5k run will be through Georgetown University Campus.
5) The finish will be located near transition, and refreshments will be waiting for you at the finish line!
5k Run/Walk Info
1) Packet Pickup which includes your T-shirt and bib number will be from 10am-1pm or 5pm to 7pm on Friday, April 7th OR race day from 7:00am-8:30am at Yates Field House at Georgetown University Campus.
2) The 5k race will begin at 9 am and follow the 5k running course that the triathlon is using as well.
Safety is the highest priority for us with the IronMed Triathlon and 5K. Because most of this event takes place outside, it is subject to the weather. Should inclement weather arise, we will have people examine the course and may issue a delay if reasonable. However, if the course is deemed unsafe for participants, the race will be cancelled. Unfortunately, since this event is in coordination with the Georgetown School of Medicine calendar, the event will NOT be rescheduled. NO REFUNDS will be issued as your registration fee is considered a donation to the Hoya Clinic and counted towards your fundraising total. Thank you for your understanding.
The heart of this event is to raise funds for the Hoya Clinic. While there is no requirement to fundraise to participate in this event, we highly encourage all to do so. This clinic is the primary source of healthcare for many at the shelter and the underserved of DC. Please donate at https://ironmedtriand5k.eventbrite.com)
If you would like to donate on behalf of a specific person, fundraising team, GUSOM Society (i.e. Harvey), or organization, please fill this form (https://goo.gl/forms/yHaYU2weHt0rc4Mu1)
We want to thank everybody participating in this year's event, and we look forward to a fun and exciting race. If you have any questions pertaining to the event, please feel free to email Frank Migliarese (firstname.lastname@example.org). He is this year’s coordinator of the IronMed event. And if you know friends or family who are interested in supporting HOYA Clinic or the triathlon, make sure to check out the triathlon's webpage where you can make donations. Thank you!
Best of Luck!