This scenic course and the post-race festivities truly embrace the spirit of the old Southwest, making the 48th Saguaro National Park Labor Day Run a regional favorite. Our rolling 8-mile and 5k courses loop through a cactus forest in the foothills of the scenic Rincon Mountains at Saguaro National Park East.
Three Big Changes for 2017
1) Cap of 750, Registration Opens on April 1: There will now be a hard cap of only 750 total participants. We will open registration on April 1st. Current SAR members have received an early email registration invitation with the discount code. (You can join SAR here.)
2) 8-Mile only, for now: To honor Tucson's running history and to enable those who are competing in SAR's Running Shop Grand Prix, we are opening registration only for the 8-miler.
Registration will open on April 1st and will be open solely for the 8-miler until June 30th.
Starting July 1st, any of the 750 slots left open will be allotted to the 5k Run/Walk. If there are no spaces available, then there will be no 5k -- just the 8-miler and a free kid's dash.
3) This race is NOT part of the Gabe Zimmerman Triple Crown: we know the Saguaro race is popular and we don't think it is fair that you would have to pay for three races just to do one race. So, as part of the Triple Crown honoring Gabe Zimmerman, we're developing a brand new 10k, currently scheduled for Sunday, September 17th, staged at Pima Community College West, looping the beautiful cactus forests of the Tucson Mountains. This "Tucson 10k" event will have a 5k, a 10k, and a children's dash, too. Details on this race are here.
This event has been featured as a Runner’s World Race of the Month. Prize money, age group awards, and nifty super-cool t-shirt. The 8-miler is part of The Running Shop Grand Prix, produced by SAR.
PRIZE MONEY AND AWARDS
The 8 Miler is part of SAR's Running Shop Desert Grand Prix.
Gift certificates and other prizes for overall and age-group winners, plus $250 to fastest man and woman who break the current course records:
- Craig Curley 41:39, 2007
- Katie James 46:39, 2016
Race Director Challenge: The first man who breaks race director Randy Accetta's course PR of 42:48 will receive $424.80 in cash on the barrelhead. The first woman who breaks an age-graded equivalent of 47:48 will receive $474.80 in cash on the barrelhead.
* Unofficial training runs at Saguaro, every Sunday morning in August, at 6:00 am. All ages and abilities welcome—just come and run or walk on your own! Bring your own water, car-pool if you can, park legally, and bring the Park fee!
* Get ready for the hill: A-Mountain Training Runs start in August every Monday night at Meet Me at Maynard’s—starting at 5:45 from Hotel Congress
Event details and schedule
5-6 Packet pick-up
Southern Arizona Roadrunners