For post-race video of the 2008 Ford Ironman Florida, visit the NA Sports Website.
Great Day at Ford Ironman Florida for Comerford and Evans
[NA Sports Press Release] - Panama City Beach, FL - It was a perfect day for an Ironman in Panama City Beach on Saturday, November 1, as just over 2,200 athletes took to the water for the 10th Annual Ford Ironman Florida. Taking place under sunny skies with calm water and little wind, the race conditions could not have been better.
Bella Comerford, who has dominated this race over its 10 year history, claimed her fifth title here today. The Scot was fourth after the swim, but by the end of the bike portion of the race, however, she was clearly in control, holding a lead of slightly more than four minutes.
She gained more time on the field during the marathon, finishing in a time of 9:07:48, six minutes ahead of second place Tamara Kozulina of the Ukraine. Jessica Jacobs of the USA finished in third place. Comerford was clearly delighted with the win, commenting that she couldn't have given herself a better birthday present.
Tom Evan of Penticton, British Columbia, took the win on the men's side, smashing the course record in the process. Evans finished with an overall time of 8:07:59, well ahead of the previous record of 8:21:29 and twenty seconds better than his previous personal best.
Evans was in the first group out of the water and proceeded to build his lead for the remainder of the race. Finishing in second place was Torbjorn Sindballe of Denmark, followed by Petr Vabrousek of the Czech Republic.
- Tom Evans, CAN -- 8:07:59
- Torbjorn Sindballe, DNK -- 8:17:51
- Petr Vabrousek, CZE -- 8:23:00
- Christophe Bastie, FRA -- 8:24:41
- Uwe Widmann, GER -- 8:25:34
- Swen Sundberg, GER -- 8:26:52
- Byung Hoon Park, KOR -- 8:28:51
- Bella Comerford, SCO -- 9:07:48
- Tamara Kozulina, UKR -- 9:14:15
- Jessica Jacobs, USA -- 9:17:51
- Bree Wee, USA -- 9:26:46
- Rachel Joyce, GBR -- 9:37:50
- Gabriela Loskotova,CZE -- 9:47:03
- Deanna Frank, USA -- 9:50:48