My workout usually lasts between 1.25 and 1.5 hours--about the same amount of time as a game.
First, I like to jump rope for 10 minutes straight, doing various jumps from single to both legs, slow to faster and rounding out with double jumps.
At this point, my heart rate is up and my blood is moving so it's time to stretch. I usually stretch for another 10 minutes.
Next I begin dribbling with the ball at about 75 percent over about 50 yards. I usually do three sets of about five patterns.
- Alternate using the inside and outside of each foot, switching half-way.
- Use the outside of your left foot and cut back, then use the outside of your right and cut back.
- Use the outside of your left foot twice and cut back, then use the outside of your right twice and cut back.
- As if on the left sideline, use the inside of your right foot and drag the ball, stopping it with your left each time, down the field
Next up is cutting over a 10-yard distance.
- Dribble at pace (very important) and cut with the inside of your left foot, decelerating into the turn and accelerating out of it.
- The same drill, except cut with the inside of your right
- Then use the outside of your left
- Now use the outside of your right
- And finally, the sole of your foot.
For a final cool down, juggle the ball while slowly moving across the field (always try and juggle while moving--it is an important skill).