St. Francis Yacht Club was founded in 1927 by a group of 21 San Francisco Yachtsman with a vision of a club in the City. Ground was broken for the clubhouse that year, and events were held on members yachts until the club was formally opened in 1928. In 1959, the Club acquired its Tinsley Island Station, located on the Sacramento Delta. Tinsley offers members a warm boating destination to escape the traditional summer fog on the Bay. In 2002, the membership celebrated its 75th anniversary of activity on San Francisco Bay and around the world.