To teach the Texas Notary Public how to properly notarize documents and complete notarial certificates, so the Notary Public will feel confident completing notarial duties for the general public. Also provide training in “what to do” and “what not to do” as a Texas Notary Public.
The Texas Notary Public Course provides in-depth training for Texas Notaries.There are currently no requirements for any type of “Formal Training” for Texas Notaries. However, as you will learn in this course, Texas Gov’t. Code Ann. § 406.009 gives the Texas Secretary of State the authority to reject an application, or suspend or revoke the commission of any Notary Public for “good cause”. “Good Cause” includes:
- the failure to comply with Section 406.017;
- a final conviction for a violation of law concerning the regulation of the conduct of notaries public in this or another state;
- the imposition on the notary public of an administrative, criminal, or civil penalty for a violation of a law or rule prescribing the duties of a notary public;
Source: Texas Secretary of State website
This means that even though there are no requirements for formal training, a Texas Notary Public is still expected to know and more importantly follow the laws and regulations governing his or her commission.
By the way, what is not mentioned above are the monetary fines that can also be imposed if any of the laws are violated. So, not only can a Notary Public loose his or her commission, the individual could be looking at some pretty hefty fines depending on the severity of the violation committed (and believe me, this does happen).
Who should take the course:
The newly appointed Texas Notary Public and the current Texas Notary Public who has not participated in any formal training, those interested in becoming a Texas Notary Public, and the seasoned Texas Notary Public who needs refresher training.
What you will learn:
- How to become a Texas Notary Public
- Reasons for Rejection/Suspension/Revocation
- Duties of a Texas Notary Public
- Authorized Notarial Fees
- Recordkeeping Requirements (Notary Journal)
- Notary Responsibilities
- Errors and Omissions’
- How to complete notarial certificates
- The difference between an Affidavit and Jurat
- How to handle Certified Copies
- How to administer an Oath
- What you cannot do
- Unauthorized Practice of Law (UPL)
- Advertising and more.
Texas Notary Public Professional Training Course