Somehow you were convinced to run on a 12- or 6-member team for roughly 200 total miles in two days. And did they mention you sleep in a van (if you're lucky enough to catch some ZZZs)?
To some this may sound crazy, but to the Ragnar nation, this is exhilarating. Whether they're newbies or veterans, people come together at Ragnar Relay to: Run. Drive. Sleep? Repeat.
More: Insider Ragnar Relay
So if you're a first-timer, entering the wondrous Ragnar world, there are few things you should know and bring before you step foot into your team van.
Ragnar is a relay race. You have three legs (or two if you choose to do the ultra distance) to run in a span of about 200 miles. It may take teams 18 hours to 36 hours to reach the finish line.
Remember that you'll live in a van for two days with 5 to 6 other people (depends if you have a driver or not), and with all that running, natural body smells may corrode the fresh air...just a forewarning.
So let's cut to the chase: What do you need to pack? Here's a list and a few tips to help you prepare for your ragnarly adventure.
What to Pack
- Three Running Outfits (one for each leg)
- Baby Wipes (to clean yourself off after you run)
- Running Shoes (two pairs, so you can switch shoes for each leg)
- Blanket/Sleeping Bag
- GPS Watch/Heart Rate Monitor
- Hair Ties and Bobby Pins (for the ladies)
- Phone Charger for the Car
- Comfortable Clothes (for in between runs/long van ride)
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Foam Roller or Stick
- Comfy Clothes for Post-Race Festivities
- Night Running Gear
- Van Decorations
- Toilette Paper and Hand Sanitizer
Shop: Race-Day Essentials