The Connecticut River Foundation at Steamboat Dock was established in 1974 as a small, all-volunteer organization dedicated to the dream of establishing a museum that would preserve the history of the Connecticut River and its people. The purchase of the 1878 Steamboat Warehouse building, docks, and surrounding property was the beginning of that dream becoming a reality. Today, the Connecticut River Museum is a private, not-for-profit, education institution that is fully accredited by the American Association of Museums and a member of the Council of American Maritime Museums and the International Congress of Maritime Museums. Our mission is to lead in the study, preservation and celebration of the cultural and natural heritage of the Connecticut River and its valley. By deepening understanding of the River's importance to past generations, the Museum will inspire the stewardship of future generations.