When children enter foster care in Russell County, Alabama they have to wait for placement at our local Department of Human Resources (DHR). These caseworkers do everything they can to find a placement in a timely manner; however, the demand often exceeds the supply. Our mission is to provide an immediate homelike environment for children entering state appointed care, giving instant stability in an already traumatic circumstance, and allowing DHR adequate time to find an appropriate and more perminant placement.
Event details and schedule
- TBD - Early Packet Pickup
- 7:45am – Late Registration & Packet Pickup (next to pavilion in park)
- 8:30am – Safety Brief, National Anthem, and prayer
- 8:40am – Children's Fun Run Starts
- 9:00am – 5K Starts or after completion of fun run if after 9am
- 9:10am – Pancake Breakfast Opens (open to all runners for free & $5 suggested donation for all spectators)
- 10:15am – Awards Ceremony (Approximate Time)
- 11:00am - Pancake Breakfast complete
*Timeline is subject to change, continue to monitor Project Greene Light Facebook Page for event updates.
- All 5K participants will receive a T-shirt*.
- Overall winners (male & female) and age-group winners (male & female).
- Overall winners open stroller division.
- Children’s Fun Run Participants will receive a t-shirt* and finishers medal*.
- No awards for Virtual 5K participants, but will receive a race t-shirt.
*Must register by Saturday November 26, 2016 in order to be guaranteed a race t-shirt and fun run finishers medal.
- The course is not USTAF certified, but is carefully measured to be as accurate as possible.
- This is an out and back course, starting and finishing in Lakewood Park.
- Race will be in the vicinity of Lakewood Park, Lakewood Primary School, and Lakewood Elementary School (See photo gallery for course route).
Fun Run Course:
- Race will be completely inside of Lakewood Park.
- Start and finish will be at 5K start and finish.
- 3 laps around the loop inside of the park in front of the Girls Club.
- Children younger than 5 will only have to complete one lap to receive finishers medal.
- Weather typically for December in Phenix City are lows in the 40’s and highs in the 60’s.
- We recommend you dress in layers, so you can adjust your clothing in accordance with the weather on race day.
Weather forecasts will be monitored prior to the event paying special attention to the possibility of rain, thunder and lightning. Athletes will be made aware of weather forecasts on the Project Greene Light Facebook Page.
On race day, the Race Director will monitor the weather and decide if any action will be taken to modify the run. Possible scenarios include: change of race start time, change of race course, change of race date or cancellation of the event. Wet, slick roadways, and standing water due to rain may require rerouting or shortening the course.
Lightning visible to the Race Director or reported to the Race Director will cause the start of the race to be postponed for a minimum of 30 minutes after the latest flash of lightning.
Shelters along the course will be identified for runners to get out of inclement weather should lightning be sighted after the start of the race and the runner chooses to take shelter for a period of time to allow the weather to clear.
If lightning is sighted on the course after the start of the race and reported to the Race Director, we will attempt to notify runners of the sighting for the runners to decide whether or not to continue running or to take shelter for a period of time.
In extreme weather, after consulting with weather meteorologist, the Race Director may decide to cancel the race either before the race has started or after the race has started. If a decision is made to cancel the race after it has started, the decision will be promptly communicated to all section leaders on the course for communication to the runners. We will attempt to assist runners with transportation back to the start/finish line at Lakewood Park.
We are a nonprofit organization operated by volunteers with a small administrative staff. All net proceeds from the race will go towards building our emergency shelter. As such no refunds are given if the race has to be cancelled because of inclement weather.
Project Greene Light