Need to impress your friends this holiday with a fabulous appetizer but you're strapped for time? Try one of these tasty, simple recipes that are sure to please.
Easy Cheddar-Chive Sausage BitesIngredients
- 1 pound uncooked lean breakfast sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) grated light cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chives
- 2 cups all purpose baking mix (can be found in your baking aisle; comes gluten free too)
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 2 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Roll into 1-inch balls and place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes; cool slightly before you serve. Yields 35 bites.
- 1 cup popcorn kernels
- 2 to 3 tablespoons seasoning (can use seafood seasoning like Old Bay, herbs de Provence, pizza seasoning, parmesan and garlic powder, smoked paprika)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Pop popcorn and transfer to large bowl. Drizzle popcorn with melted butter and mix well. Add seasoning one tablespoon at a time and mix in well; add desired amount, depending on how flavorful or subtle you like it. Yields about 16 cups.
Homemade Pita Chips and HummusIngredients
- One package pita pockets
- Olive oil
- Grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut pita bread into quarters, then cut into eighths. Place pita bread in a single layer on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and grated parmesan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve with hummus, carrots and celery for a healthy treat.
Smoked Salmon CrackersIngredients
- 1 sleeve butter crackers (like Ritz)
- 4 ounces softened light cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- Pinch of coarse salt and ground pepper
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, sliced thin
Mix all the ingredients except for salmon together in one bowl. Spread thinly onto a butter cracker and top with a piece of sliced salmon. Repeat. Yields 24 bite-sized snacks.
Goat Cheese PopsIngredients
- 8 ounces chevre goat cheese
- 5 slices crispy cooked bacon, crumbled to make vegetarian, add chopped, rinsed, patted-dry sun-dried tomatoes and sliced, patted-dry olives in lieu of bacon)
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 24 lollipop sticks
Roll cheese into balls. Mix bacon, basil, and pecans in a bowl. Coat the cheese in bacon, pecan, herb mixture. Insert lollipop stick into each ball and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Get more nutrition advice here.