Sugar and Spice Trail Mix
Here's a tasty pre-exercise snack that's sweet, but not too sweet. Put it in small baggies tied with a bow, and you'll have gifts for the whole team!
3 cups oat squares cereal
3 cups mini-pretzels, salted or salt-free, as desired
2 tablespoons tub margarine, melted
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dried fruit bits or raisins
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. In a large resealable plastic bag or plastic container with a cover, combine the oat squares and pretzels.
3. In a small microwavable bowl, melt the margarine; add the brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix well; pour over the cereal.
4. Seal the bag or container and shake gently until the mixture is well coated. Transfer to a baking sheet.
5. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring once or twice.
6. Let cool; add the dried fruit. Divide into 10 baggies.
Yield: 10 servings Total calories: 2,000
200 calories per serving; 40 g Carb;5 g Protein; 2 g Fat
Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association (www.deliciousdecisions.com
Helpful books can be a welcome gift. Here are a few suggestions for your active friends and family members. Of course, I recommend these books that I have written:
Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, 4th Edition (2008)
- The sports nutrition bible for learning how to eat to win
The Cyclist's Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance
- For cyclists who are doing long rides or tour
Food Guide for Marathoners: Tips for Everyday Champions
- Perfect for novice marathoners who fear hitting the wall
Excellent books by other authors include:
American Dietetic Association's Complete Food and Nutrition Guide by Roberta Duyff
What to Eat: An Aisle-by-Aisle Guide to Savvy Food Choices and Good Eating by Miriam Nestle
Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by Enette Larson-Meyer
Secrets of Feeding a Healthy Family by Ellyn Satter
Healthy Homestyle Cooking by Evelyn Tribole