All-American Apple Crumb Pie
Is there anything that makes your house smell better than a warm apple pie baking in the oven? This pie is delicious alone or with a scoop of nondairy vanilla frozen dessert on top.
(Makes 10 servings)
Apples, 15 minutes
Apple filling, 10 minutes
Topping, 5 minutes
Crust, 10 minutes
Baking time: 20 minutes
Standard Vegan Single Piecrust (refer to crust recipe at the end of this article)
10 medium-size baking apples
½ cup water
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
1 tablespoon arrowroot
½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
½ cup granulated sweetener
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (preferably non-hydrogenated, such as Spectrum or Earth Balance)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Coat an 8-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Prepare the piecrust. Weight the crust with another empty pie plate filled with a little water or pie weights to keep the crust from bubbling or shrinking while it bakes. You can also line the piecrust with aluminum foil and fill the foil with dried beans. Bake the piecrust for 10 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown slightly.
3. While the crust is baking, make the apple filling. Peel, core, and slice the apples and place in a heavy cooking pot. Add ¼ cup of the water. Cover and cook until the apples are soft but not mushy. Add the spices, stir to combine and remove from the heat.
4. Stir the arrowroot into the remaining ¼ cup of water. Stir the arrowroot mixture into the hot apples. The mixture will thicken from the heat of the apples—do not boil. Pour the apples into the prepared crust when it is ready, making sure to remove pie weights before putting the apple filling in the crust.
5. To make the topping: Place all the topping ingredients in a bowl and cut the shortening into the flour with two knives until the dough forms pieces that are no larger than a pea. Sprinkle the apples with topping. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the crumb topping begins to brown. Serve warm with a scoop of nondairy vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- 262 calories
- 8.4 g fat (1.2 g saturated)
- 46 g carbohydrate
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 4 g protein
- 0 mg cholesterol
- 61 mg sodium
- Calories from fat: 13 percent