Perhaps you have meandered into Target or your local grocery story lately and noticed the enormous amounts of tantalizing treats throughout the store. Maybe you even felt tempted to buy some, because you?ll pass the candy out to all of the neighborhood kids. But, if you buy the candy days or weeks before Halloween, you?ll have the desire to eat the candy.
Here are a few helpful tricks to avoid the treats.
Purchase Candy you Don't Like
If you don?t pass out candy then the kids will probably be disappointed, and you don?t want that. Instead, pick up candy that you don?t like. If the candy doesn?t appeal to you, then you won?t eat it. It?s a win-win situation. You won?t snack on candy and the kids will be happy.
Pick Up Candy Last Minute
The day of Halloween is when candy is significantly marked down. You?ll save money on candy and you won?t have the lingering temptation around your house for weeks. Make sure you pass out all the candy by the end of the night. You don?t want to munch on any leftover sweets.
Here are nine Halloween options to pass out:
- Three Musketeers Bars: These bars are considered the low-cal chocolate candy bar. They are bite-sized candy bars that are 24 calories each and less than 1 gram of fat.
- Tootsie Caramel Apple Pops: Lollipops take a while to finish, so it keeps you from eating more treats. At 60 calories and .5 grams of fat, you can have the tangy caramel pop and be satisfied.
- Dum-Dum Lollipops: 0 grams of fat and only 20 calories.
- Rice Krispy Treats: For a healthier version, mix or substitute Rice Krispies for brown rice puffs. Use brown rice syrup instead of sugar.
- Mini Water Bottles: Parents and kids appreciate a sip of water while on the hunt for candy. Arrowhead and Kirkland make 4-ounce water bottles, perfect size to grab-and-go.
- Glow Bracelets: Glow bracelets, fake tattoos and stickers are great alternatives to candy and get the little kids excited.
- Dessert-Flavored Gum: Extra gum makes dessert-flavored gums such as Root Beer Float and Mint Chocolate Chip. They are heavenly and are only 5 calories per stick.
- Nabisco 100-Calorie Snack Packs: From cookies to pretzels, the little ghosts and goblins will love these snacks.
- Trail Mixes: Individually wrapped packages of nuts and trail mix bars are great alternatives to the Halloween candy. Not only are these healthier and lower in sugar, but they offer nutritional benefits as well.
Perfect your nutrition to boost your performance. Sign up for a race near you.