On Saturday, June 24, more than 125 swimmers will return to the URI Campanella Rowing Center in North Kingstown, R.I. for the 12th Annual Narrow River Turnaround Swim. They’ll set off from the beach adjacent to the rowing center dock at 9:00 a.m., swim around a buoy a half mile down river, and head back to the beach.
This one-mile loop swim celebrates the joy of open-water swimming and the natural beauty of the Narrow River, and raises money for the Narrow River Preservation Association’s education and preservation efforts, including the NRPA River Watch water-monitoring program, now starting its 26th year.
Event details and schedule
When: Saturday, June 24, 2017, 9:00 a.m. (rain or shine)
Where: URI Boathouse - Campanella Rowing Center, 166 Walmsley Lane, North Kingstown, R.I.
Parking is limited. Carpooling is encouraged.
Distance: One Mile (1/2 mile out and 1/2 mile back). Common start for Wetsuit and Non-wetsuit Divisions
Start: Swimmers will start in the water adjacent t the URI Boat Dock
Finish: Final times will be recorded on the beach adjacent to the URI Boathouse dock **Please note new finish line!!**
Timing: We are proud to be using state-of-the-art chip timing this year, administered by TriMom Timing Service.
Maximum Time: Due to the increased registrations as well as safety concerns, the swimmers will be given one hour to complete the swim.
Timing: Awards for best time overall, best times for male and female swimmers within Wetsuit and Non-wetsuit Divisions.
Limit: The first 150 registered entrants; the first 125 entrants will receive a 2017 Turnaround Swim T-shirt.
Check In: 7:45 a.m. to 8:40 a.m. No one will be admitted to the Turnaround Swim unless he or she has checked in and received a numbered swim cap by 8:40 a.m. on race day.
Mandatory Safety Briefing: 8:55 a.m.
Parking: Walmsley Lane, North Kingstown, R.I. Parking is limited; carpooling is encouraged.
Safety: Because of the uncertainty of weather conditions such as fog or lightning, the lifeguards and the event committee reserve the right to reschedule (for example, to Sunday, June 25) or alter the event to ensure the safety of the participants.
Entry Fee: Advanced registration is $30; walk-up registration is $35.
SWIM SPONSOR: Have your name printed on the Turnaround Swim T-shirt to show your support Narrow River. $45 to enter the swim, become a Swim Sponsor and receive an NRPA membership.
Event Information: Visit http://www.narrowriver.org/TurnaroundSwim
Please note that the swim area is a natural environment, so be aware of the presence of objects that may be sharp.
Directions from Connecticut via I-95 Northbound:
- Take I-95 through Conn. to exit 3A in Rhode Island.
- Take exit 3A - Route 138 East and stay on 138 for about 15 miles. You will pass URI on your left.
- Travel 4 more miles to US-1 and take a LEFT onto US-1 North.
- Move to the right lane and travel 0.7 miles. A turning lane is available.
- Take a right onto Walmsley Lane and drive down the hill.
- Park on Walmsley Lane only, facing downhill on the left.
Direction from N.H. and Mass. via I-95 Southbound:
- Take I-95 South to Exit 9/RI-4 South (a left exit).
- At the end of RI-4, merge onto US-1 South and drive past the exit for 138 East.
- Continue on US-1 South. You will pass the boathouse entrance on the opposite side of the median.
- At the Route 138 West intersection (a traffic light after the Holiday Inn on the right) make a U-turn.
- Travel north on US-1 for 0.7 miles and turn right onto Walmsley Lane.
- Drive down the hill. Park on Walmsley Lane only, facing downhill on the left.
Narrow River Preservation Association