WHY TAKE THIS CLASS?
If you have never raced an AR before, or if you have raced and asked yourself . . .
* how did the other teams get ahead of us when we should be faster?
* why are the maps so hard to read and understand?
* why couldn't we find that point that several other teams did?
* why did our team have to discuss every checkpoint direction/strategy?
* how come our team travelled alot further than some other teams?
The new AR Guide to Nav will make it easy! We will talk about navigation/team strategy, you will learn
how to use your Lensatic and/or Orienteering Compass, terrain association, bearings and pace count to clear your course. The practice course is about 3 miles and will help dial it all in.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
Compass, UTM (1:24,000) tool, writing utensil, highlighters, fine point permanent
marker, long pants, hiking or tennis shoes, water/hydration pack, snacks if desired.
If you don't have a UTM tool or compass, there are a limited number to borrow.
WHAT WILL BE COVERED
Adventure Racing, teamwork, UTM coordinates, terrain association, compass readings, pace counts, map reading, strategy, etc.
STRUCTURE OF CASS
We will spend about 2 hours in classroom & 2 hours practicing in the "field".
Event schedule and times
3:30pm to 8:00 pm (you will want to bring snacks/water/bug spray)