2012 Jimmy Surf Fiesta
Start: Sunday, October 14, 2012 @ 7:00 AM (PDT)
Manhattan Beach , CA 90266
On Sunday October 14th, we�re going to gather together once again to celebrate Jimmy�s life and raise some money to help the JMMF continue its mission. I hope you can join us for the one of a kind Surf Fiesta which is a fun and unique format that encourages all levels from first timers to rippers.
We also want all surfers and non surfers join us for our huge raffle and the first ever on the beach silent auction.
Proceeds: The proceeds from the Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Fiesta, aka �The Jimmy�, will be used to further the JMMF's efforts to heal mental and physical illnesses and injury through surfing and ocean-related activities. Our mission is to carry on the legacy of Jim's pure love of surfing by sharing the ocean's power to heal.
Cost: $40 for signups before October 7th. $50 After October 7th and Beach Signups (if space is available. Note- we have sold out the last four years so please sign up early). Cost includes contest entry, T-shirt, breakfast, lunch and some amazing gifts from local sponsors.
We are also very lucky to have a complete set of JS Surfboards to demo for the event
Pay online or make Checks Payable to: Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation.
Send to: Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation
524 14th Street Manhattan Beach CA 90266
Format: The Jimmy Miller Memorial Foundation Fiesta, aka �The Jimmy�, is a unique team surf contest that brings together surfers, friends and family to remember and celebrate the life of Jimmy Miller. The Jimmy is designed to be fun and foster teamwork and friendly competition. Teams will consist of one member from each skill level (A/B/C/D/E) from rippers to people who have never surfed before. Members will self-rate their ability and the Contest Committee will determine ultimate skill level and make up the teams. Beginner and first time surfers are encouraged and welcome.
Rules:1. Meet your team members when the teams are announced on the morning of The Jimmy. We have a full set of demo boards from JS for this year but if you have any boards that you think would be fun to ride and don't mind letting other people take �er for a spin, please bring them down and we may use them for �The Jimmy.�
2. Check-In and Board Selection: 15 minutes before your heat, gather your team members and meet at the Contest Directors Table. Through a draw of cards out of a hat, each team member will determine which of the collection of boards he/she will ride during the heat and pick up their contest jersey. Being there 15 minutes before your heat is mandatory for the day to run smoothly. Please know your heat time, gather your team members and don�t be a lagger!
3. Scoring: Each wave will be scored by three judges on a scale of 1 to 10. The top three scores will then be averaged for your total wave score.
4. Round One- Each team will surf against another team with all team members in the water at the same time in a 15-minute heat. Each surfer on the team will be scored with their highest scoring wave counting toward the team total. Teams are encouraged to help each other to ensure that each member gets at least one wave. The team with the higher cumulative team score will advance to the next round.
5. Round Two- Once again, meet at the Contest Director Table to select your board and pick up your jersey 15 minutes before your team�s heat . Same scoring system as in Round One with 15-minute heats.
6. Quarters/Semis/Finals- 15-minute heats.
7. Listen for the double horn to end the heat and start the next heat. A single horn indicates 5 minutes left in the heat. Please wait at the water�s edge to paddle out at the start of your heat. At the end of your heat (2 horns), please ride in prone position (to not confuse the judges) to the beach quickly so the next heat can get started.
8. Return your contest jersey to the proper bin and surfboard to the Contest Director area at the end of your heat.