11th Annual Florida Holiday Halfathon
Start: Sunday, December 9, 2012 @ 3:35 PM (EST)
Madeira Beach , FL 33708
Registration Closing Date
Friday, December 7, 2012 @ 8:00 PM (EST)
Welcome! Thanks for your interest in our 11TH Annual Florida Holiday Halfathon.
We invite you to join the holiday fun on our point-to-point course, which is fast, flat, scenic and aesthetically varied: just one small bridge (Park Boulevard Bridge, four miles into the course) and two overpasses, with the rest of the course 10 - 25 feet above sea level.
The course is accurately measured and USATF certified, starting in Madeira Beach, heading north on Gulf Boulevard through exclusive residential and commercial communities to Indian Shores, before heading inland to Seminole, north along the smoothly paved Pinellas Trail into shaded and scenic Taylor Park, to the lakefront finish line, the perfect place to relax, recover, listen to live music, eat our homemade hot food, and enjoy some ice-cold beverages.
Afterwards, shuttle buses are available to return you to your vehicles near the start line.
All finishers earn unique, running starfish gold medals.
Awards for M/F Open, Masters (40+) and Grand Masters (50+), three deep; age group awards offered three deep in 5 year increments.
7 Aid stations with enthusiastic volunteers, water and Gatorade, and fresh Florida oranges starting at the midpoint.
Florida's weather in December can't be beat: average low is 52, average high is 72, perfect for running and an early-winter vacation on our award-winning beaches!
This is a great race for runners training for Disney, Gasparilla, Miami, and Ocala, and for endurance athletes seeking a final race before the holidays.
Walkers are welcome. We offer an early start at 7:05 am and course support based on a 3:30 pace. This allows you to arrive earlier to our finish line celebration in Taylor Park, while also reducing the duration of road closing and volunteer commitments.
FLORIDA HOLIDAY HALFATHON
$45 online for the first 50 entrants - SOLD OUT
$55 postmarked/online until July 29, 2012
$65 postmarked/online until November 4, 2012
$75 postmarked/online until December 2, 2012
$75 online only until December 5, 2012
$85 race weekend, on-site registration, December 8-9, 2012
FLORIDA HOLIDAY HALFATHON VIRTUAL RUN
$30 online until December 6, 2012
There are no refunds, transfers or credits, unless you register by August 9, AND notify the race director of your withdrawal at least two weeks prior to the race. There are NO transfers to other athletes. ALL refunds from ALL races will be issued at the same time - after our Florida Beach Halfathon on or about April 1, 2013.
Florida's weather in January can't be beat: average low is 51, average high is 71, perfect for long distance running and a mid-winter vacation on our award-winning beaches!
Since we started in January, 2000, our races have attracted athletes from nearly every state in the USA and about 20 different countries.
Are welcome in all of our events and encouraged to participate. Walkers in our Halfathon expecting to finish slower than a 15-minute per mile pace are required to start early at 6:35 am, allowing them to reach the finish line by the 10:05 am cut-off for the Halfathon. This early start also allows our road restrictions to expire earlier, keeping residents and city officials happy with our event.
All our races are sanctioned and insured through USATF for runners, joggers, and walkers ONLY. Strollers, skaters, skateboards and bicycles are NOT allowed on the course during our races.
HEADPHONES AND IPODS
Headphones of any type are now allowed at USATF sanctioned events, but are discouraged due to safety concerns, not only during the actual race, but as importantly, while athletes are training in an uncontrolled environment. Individual races may impose their own regulations, but we don’t, as it would be nearly impossible to enforce.
All finishers will earn unique, Running Starfish gold medals.
Custom plaques for M/F overall, masters (40+) and grandmasters (50+), three deep
Age group awards offered three deep in standard 5 year increments.
• Deep discounts on registration fees for early entrants - see below
• A fair refund policy for early entrants – see below
• Accurately measured, USATF certified course
• Extremely safe courses with substantial traffic control including cones and police
• Accurate mile markers; Computerized timing / scoring
• Early start for our fitness walkers
• Multiple aid stations stocked with Gatorade, water, and friendly volunteers
• Fresh Florida oranges available after mile 4
• Running Starfish gold medals for all halfathon and marathon finishers
• Awards for the top three in standard age groups
• Halfathon Overall, Masters (40+), and Grandmasters (50+) plaques for the top three males and females
• A complete web-site for easily accessible information:
- Course maps and photos - Race Records page for overall and all age groups
- On-line registration
- On-line confirmation frequently updated
• Regular e-mails, providing updated information
• Opportunity to pick up bib numbers on race day
• Colorful t-shirt highlighting the Holiday theme
• Finish-line celebration in beautiful Taylor Park:
- An assortment of fruits, bagels, and pastries
- Freshly prepared homemade pasta
- Live entertainment
HOLIDAY HALFATHON VIRTUAL RUN Registration is OPEN for the Florida Holiday Halfathon Virtual Run during the week leading up to December 9th to coincide with the actual running of our race.
Net proceeds ($20 per virtual athlete after costs of bib, medal, shipping, administration) will be donated to the Partners For Life Foundation, created by Lorraine Yaslowitz to memorialize her husband Jeff, a K9 police officer in St. Petersburg, FL lost in the line of duty on January 24, 2011. The foundation's mission is to lend support to families who lose loved ones to senseless acts of violence.
For information: http://www.partnersforlifefoundation.org/
Here is how the Florida Holiday Halfathon Virtual Run works: 1) Athletes register for $30.
2) Athletes who register by 11:59 pm, Sunday, November 25, will have their ultra-personalized official bib number sent out via regular mail. Entrants who register after November 25th will have a bib number pdf sent via email for home printing. We would LOVE it if you wear this bib number while you complete your virtual run and it would be even better if you have some photos taken and share them with us.
3) Athletes must complete a half marathon (13.1 miles) during the eight-day period from December 2 - 9. We have extended the time frame compared to our first virtual run due to the hustle and bustle of the holiday season.
4) For the purposes of this virtual run, you may complete your half marathon with a 13.1 mile run or you can split it up over the four days - your choice.
5) Please share your results, experience and photos at our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/418968004837338/. Your results will NOT be recorded as official results, nor will you be eligible for age group awards or rankings. It is not necessary to send us emails to report results, but you are certainly welcome to share your comments with us.
6) In order to have your medal sent, you MUST post your run at the above Facebook page. We will send you an official finisher medal from our 11th Annual Florida Holiday Halfathon. These are gorgeous custom-made medals, measuring 3.5" across, along with custom ribbons.
7) If we have medals left over after distribution to finishers at our race, we will be able to ship virtual run participants their medal within a week or so after the event.
8) However, if we run out of medals, we will need to order new ones and it will take 4-6 weeks, as they will be manufactured to our specific order.
9) Medals will be sent to virtual runners in the order of registration. This means some of you may receive medals within 2 weeks of our race, while others may receive them in 4-6 weeks.
10) Regardless of how it all unfolds, we will send out emails right after the race advising our virtual athletes of when medals will be shipped.
On behalf of Lorraine Yaslowitz and the Partners For Life Foundation, we thank you for participating in our virtual run.
4TH ANNUAL FLORIDA HALFATHON CHALLENGE
This race is also the second opportunity to run the 13.1 miles of our 4th Annual Florida Halfathon Challenge:
Sunday, October 28: 4th Annual Florida Halloween Halfathon & 5K Race, Ft. De Soto Park
Sunday, December 9: 11th Annual Florida Holiday Halfathon, Madeira Beach to Largo
Sunday, January 20: 8th Annual Clearwater Halfathon, 5-Miler, and 5K Fitness Walk, Clearwater
Sunday, March 17: 4th Annual Florida Beach Halfathon & 5K Race, Ft. De Soto Park
Websites for all races are available through www.FloridaRoadRaces.com In addition to competing for overall and age group awards each week, athletes' finishing times will be tracked to determine overall and age-group series' champions.
Athletes are ranked based on completing three Halfathons. For those athletes who complete all four Halfathons, we will drop your slowest race.
To recognize our fastest and most consistent halfathon athletes, we offer special overall and age-group rewards based on three halfathons. We also recognize athletes who complete all four of our halfathons with exclusive finisher medals and shirts.
In an effort to give back to our local community, we help stage The Police Appreciation Run/Walk in May as a joint venture with the Partners For Life Foundation, Inc.
It was created by Lorraine Yaslowitz in memory of her husband, slain K-9 Police Officer Jeff Yaslowitz after his tragic loss on January 24, 2011. The Foundation's primary mission is to lend support to the families of innocent loved ones lost to senseless acts of violence. All net proceeds after direct expenses are presented to the foundation. Its website will be available soon.
Make a donation to the Partners For Life Foundation.
For information, please visit our website at: www.FloridaRoadRaces.com.
Our simple goal is to exceed your expectations.
Run on our roads, relax on our award-winning beaches!
Chris Lauber, Race Director
727 347-4440 Voicemail