- Race Results
Good Morning: Start Every Day Healthy
Fast 'n' Filling
Cranberry Orange Oat Pancakes
Prepare these ahead of time, freeze them, and reheat for the convenience of the boxed variety without the empty calories of refined carbs. Fiber-rich oats and whole wheat flour keep your metabolism in high gear and your cravings in check.
1 c old-fashioned rolled oats
1 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp packed brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 lg eggs
1 c orange juice
1/4 c extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
3/4 c sweetened dried cranberries
Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 8 (16 4" pancakes total)
1. PREHEAT nonstick griddle (if using electric griddle, set to 325°-350°F).
2. WHISK together oats, flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in large bowl. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs, orange juice, milk, and oil.
3. ADD wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in cranberries.
4. DROP 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle and cook until edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until bottom browns and pancake is cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with agave nectar.
Nutritional Info Per Serving (2 pancakes):
259 cal, 6 g pro, 39 g carb, 4 g fiber, 9.5 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 53 mg chol, 298 mg sodium
Grab 'n' Go
Egg, Cheese, and Bacon Sandwich
Our protein- and fiber-packed breakfast sandwich satisfies a hearty appetite with only 10% of the cholesterol and about half of the sodium of the healthiest similar drive-thru choice. Spinach is what sets it apart: The leafy green provides vitamins A and K and iron, plus coenzyme Q10, a compound required for a well-tuned metabolism. No time to cook in the morning? Make a sandwich the night before and reheat in the microwave the next day.
1 slice (1 oz) lower sodium bacon
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c liquid egg substitute
1 light multigrain English muffin, toasted
1 1/2 oz trimmed spinach leaves or baby spinach (about 1 c packed)
3/4 oz slice reduced-fat, reduced-sodium
Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese
Time: 15 minutes
1. MICROWAVE bacon slice per package directions.
2. HEAT oil in small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg substitute and heat until edges begin to set, about 1 minute. Lift edges to allow any liquid egg to flow underneath, about 1 minute longer. When almost set, gently fold omelet in half and in half again. Transfer to bottom half of muffin and top with bacon.
3. RETURN pan to heat, add spinach, and cook, stirring until wilted, about 1 minute. Place spinach on top of bacon, season with freshly ground black pepper, add cheese, and top with other muffin half.
Nutritional Info Per Sandwich
279 cal, 23 g pro, 27 g carb, 9 g fiber, 12.5 g fat, 5 g sat fat, 26 mg chol, 428 mg sodium