Looking for a go-to dish full of wholesome, delicious food? At Skratch Labs, we like to enjoy this chilled soba on a hot summer afternoon, but you could also serve it warm any time of the year. You likely have many of these ingredients on hand, so throwing together this meal should be a breeze.
Check out "The Feed Zone Cookbook" for similar recipes.
Recipe (Serves 4):
2 teaspoons salt
1 15-ounce can red kidney beans or 2 cups cooked beans
1/2 pound bok choy or napa cabbage leaves, rolled lengthwise and thinly sliced (chiffonade)
2 cups carrots, cut into matchsticks
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons soy sauce, plus additional to taste
1 tablespoon chili paste, plus additional to taste
2 cups cooked and chilled soba noodles
4 cups hot or cold vegetable stock
A drizzle of sesame oil
Juice from 1 lemon
1. To poach the eggs, fill a shallow medium saucepan halfway with water and add salt. Bring to a rolling boil and then crack the eggs into a small bowl one at a time and gently slide them into the boiling water.
2. Cook for five to six minutes, or until the eggs are fully white.
3. Drain with a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. If using canned beans, drain and rinse them. Combine the beans and vegetables in a mixing bowl.
5. In a small bowl or measuring cup, stir together the soy sauce and chili paste. Pour the dressing over the beans and vegetables just before serving to keep them from wilting.
6. To assemble, divide the noodles into individual bowls. Sprinkle the dressed beans and vegetables on top of the noodles. Add one poached egg to each bowl. Pour in as much stock as you’d like, either cold or warm.
7. To finish, drizzle with a small amount of sesame oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, adding additional soy sauce or chili paste to taste.
Find more healthy recipes.