Hiring a personal trainer may cost a little money, but the benefits are well worth it.
Here are 10 reasons why you should hire a personal trainer:
1) SafetyPersonal trainers will instruct you on the proper form of each exercise and reduce chances of injury. They will also tell you how to correctly use equipment.
2) Fitness AssessmentA personal trainer will ask for your health history and physical activity history. Based on this information, you may be referred to a healthcare professional prior to exercising. Otherwise, the trainer can use this information to determine your starting point. Other assessments may include body composition, flexibility and cardiovascular fitness testing.
3) Defining GoalsWorking with a personal trainer will help you establish your goals making them specific, measurable, attainable, revisable, and with a time frame.
4) MotivationYou may be motivated to stay on task because you will be accountable to your trainer. However, your trainer can provide you with other ways to stay motivated like working with a partner, finding a role model, or establishing social support.
5) BarriersA personal trainer can help you define barriers in your life that stop you from achieving your goal - like not having enough time. Your trainer can provide you with strategies to overcome your barriers.
6) Program DesignA trainer usually designs a plan that's specific for you. A program typically includes: cardiovascular endurance, strength training, flexibility work, body composition, and mind and body focus.
7) VarietyA trainer will provide you with information and instructions on exercises to include in your program.
8) Specific NeedsYou may want to train for a sport or have a recent knee injury. A trainer will design your program to accommodate your needs.
9) Network of ProfessionalsA personal trainer has a network of professionals to refer you. Examples are a registered dietician, a family doctor, a counselor or therapist.
10) LifestyleThe overall goal is to make healthy permanent lifestyle changes. Your trainer can provide you with information, motivation, direction, and inspiration to make your health goals part of your life.
What to Look For
When you choose a personal trainer, you want to make sure the trainer has good credentials, which include certification, education, and experience. ACE is a nationally recognized organization that certifies personal trainers. If you sign into acefitness.org, scroll down and select 'Find an ACE Trainer.' You can type in your zip code and the results will give you local ACE certified trainers, their credentials, and contact information.
Stay in shape with a training plan.
Naperville Fitness Examiner Nancy Klotz is a certified personal trainer and fitness instructor who has over 12 years of experience.
Examiner.com is the inside source for everything local. Powered by Examiners, the largest pool of knowledgeable and passionate contributors in the world, we provide unique and original content to enhance life in your local city wherever that may be.