Places to HikeThe land in Marin County is outstanding for hikers. Try the Steep Ravine Trail at Mt. Tamalpais State Park for a challenging loop hike that is shaded by giant redwoods.
Other great hikes:
- Marin County The Cataract Trail, which passes Cataract Falls, is one of the most popular waterfall hikes in the Bay Area.
- Marin County In Golden Gate National Recreational Area, take a quick hike to Point Bonita Lighthouse. It's short but challenging. The view at the end of the trail is worth it.
- San Francisco: The California Coastal Trail has stunning coastal views and can take you from the south all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Marin County: Muir Woods National Monument has less-challenging trails that snake through California's famous giant redwoods, some of which approach 300 feet tall.
- Regional: Yosemite National Park and its legendary hiking trails is about four hours away. Pinnacles National Park is about two hours away.
Stores to Check Out
REI is tough to beat, and there are several locations around San Francisco, including one (840 Brannan Street) a few blocks from AT&T Park in downtown.
Other stores to check out:
- Triple Aught Design is a local outdoors store with high reviews and two locations (660 22nd Street and 551 Hayes Street)
- Merrell has a store in Union Square (285 Geary Street)
One Last Tip
Board a ferry and go to Angel Island in San Francisco Bay. There, you can hike to the highest point in the island, the 788-foot-high Mount Livermore, and see 360-degree views of the bay.Search for an event.