Home Page  | 

Find a fundraiser to support:

or

or simply click 'Search' to view a list of all fundraisers

Fundraiser Search   Cancel

or
or simply click 'Search' to view a list of all fundraisers
2012 Susan G. Komen Detroit Race for the Cure®
We Can All Make a Difference!
Help end breast cancer forever. Become a Friend for the Cure.

Welcome to the 2012 Susan G. Komen Detroit Race For the Cure®, locally presented by the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute.

LOOK AROUND. One in eight women will be stricken with breast cancer. Globally, last year more than 1.6 million women were diagnosed. That's one every 19 seconds. Every 74 seconds a woman dies of breast cancer. We won't rest until breast cancer is a history lesson, not a current event. HELP US TAKE ACTION. Fundraising is essential to find the cures for this disease that touches so many of us. Come join us as a Komen Detroit Race for the Cure fundraiser and become one of our Friends for the Cure®.

Who are we? Susan G. Komen for the Cure was established in 1982 by Nancy Brinker to honor the memory of her sister, Susan G. Komen, who died from breast cancer at the age of 36. Suzy fought breast cancer with her heart, body and soul. Throughout her diagnosis, treatments, and endless days in the hospital, she spent her time thinking of ways to make life better for other women battling breast cancer instead of worrying about her own situation. That concern for others continued even as she neared the end of her fight. Moved by her compassion for others and committed to making a difference, Nancy G. Brinker promised her sister that she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever.

That promise is now Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the global leader of the breast cancer movement, having invested more than $1.9 billion since inception. As the world’s largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists, we’re working together to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Komen is the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world.

How is the money spent? 75% of the net income from our Race stays in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties to fund breast cancer screening, treatment support and education programs; the remaining 25% supports the Komen Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research, meritorious awards and educational, scientific and community outreach programs around the world. See Detroit’s current community grants: http://www.karmanos.org/detroitraceforthecure/grantsawarded.asp

Select a team or individual at the top of this page or make a general donation using the contribution box.

Top Contributors
Top Fundraisers
Top Teams
Inspired?!?! Click here for information on starting your own ACTIVE fundraising campaign!