|Girls on the Run is a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.
Girls on the Run of Johnson County is an experiential learning program that combines training for 5k (3.1 miles) run/walk event with a 24 lesson curriculum designed to promote good choices for lifetime of self-respect and healthy living. The lessons are designed specifically to address “girl box” issues and use warm-ups and workouts that encourage emotional, social, mental, spiritual, and physical development and well-being.
Our goals for each girl are to:
1) have a stronger sense of identity,
2) learn the advantages of a peer group support,
3) learn to stand up for herself in a healthy manner,
4) have an improved body image,
5) understand her place in her community, AND
6) complete a 5k run/walk event.