Junior Lifeguard Course
Start: Thursday, May 24, 2012
Denver , CO 80238
The Junior Lifeguard Program is designed for youth 14 years old and swim skills of Level 5 or higher, to build a foundation of knowledge, attitudes, skills for future lifeguards in the areas of Prevention, Fitness, Response, Leadership, and Professionalism Junior Lifeguarding covers five critical areas
· Prevention: Teaches how to prevent drownings and diving accidents.
· Fitness: Develops swimming skills and general physical ability for lifeguarding responsibilities.
· Response: Develops an understanding of the basics of emergency response techniques and provides practice of lifeguarding skills.
· Leadership: Teaches the decision-making and communication skills necessary to succeed as a lifeguard.
· Professionalism: Instructs participants in key skills and attitudes
· for the important and vital job of lifeguarding.
Classroom Training Dates: Tentative (Subject to Change)
Prerequisites: Ability to swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side. Ability to tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs. Ability to submerge and swim a distance of 10 feet underwater. (For those with Level 5 and higher swimming ability.)
Potential Junior Lifeguards must have already turned in all required paperwork to be considered for this program.
Junior Lifeguards are required to volunteer 30 hours of service during the summer months at any one of the Stapleton pools, special events, and/or swim meets.