Ada Jenkins Center
“To improve the quality of life for the residents of our communities through the integrated delivery of health, education, and human services.”
The Ada Jenkins Center originally opened in 1937 as the Davidson Colored School, a replacement for the old school house, which burned down in the 1920’s. Its first principal was Miss Ada Jenkins who along with fellow community members raised the money necessary to construct the school.
Following the integration of schools in the Davidson area in 1966 the school closed its doors but under Title I was reopened in 1967 as the Davidson Child Development Center providing education for children to better prepare them for a brighter future.
For the next three decades the Center was a key staple in the community providing for the needs of its citizens. In 1995 the citizens of Davidson and the surrounding towns came together to renovate the building and on November 8, 1998 the center was renamed as the Ada Jenkins Center, a tribute to its first principal.
Since its opening the Ada Jenkins Center has paved the way for many in a quest for a brighter future. The center has continued to grow over the years and has been a model center that is well respected throughout the area.
Most recently the Divinity School at Duke University has named the Ada Jenkins Center a Model Organization for Buildings Communities of Caring.
Vision for Achievement:
The center goes about fulfilling its mission by working closely with the people of Davidson, Cornelius and Huntersville to support them in their endeavors for a better education, a healthier and economically self sufficient lifestyle and to empower them in their pursuit of a better tomorrow.
Crisis assistance through a collaborative, integrated center that ensures the availability of temporary, emergency, and transition support services that allow community members to survive during times of crisis
Education, health, and economic independence programs that enable community members to obtain healthier lifestyles and the skills to attain greater self-sufficiency
Referral to a network of collaborative partners outside of The Center for crisis assistance and/or developmental support beyond the scope of The Center.