The first annual "Double Down 2 the Beach" Double Century Cycling Challenge : Saturday, June 16th, 2012
REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES ON MAY 1st, 2012 at 11:59pm
- Enter this event as an individual or a 2-person relay team
- 204 miles from cycles de ORO in Greensboro, NC to the Beach Bike Shop in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Single day, double century that is downhill all the way - mostly :)
- Coffee and bagels at the start.
- Participants to pack their own nutrition bag for the trip (will be placed on your group's dedicated SAG).
- Participants must pack a headlight and taillight which must be switched on before sunset if necessary. You may place it with your personal nutrition bag and then collect it from SAG before sunset.
- Sandwiches and drinks at the finish.
- Sign in @ 5:00am on Sat, June 16th 2012 at cycles de ORO
- Depart @ 5:30am (Mass start, groups split after 5 miles)
- Finish at Beach Bike Shop (711 Broadway Street, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577; Tel (843) 448-5335)
- 4 groups (A - 20+ mph, B - 18-20 mph, C - 16-18 mph, D - 14-16 mph).
- Rolling SAG dedicated to each group
- If you switch groups during the ride, ensure your nutrition bag switches SAG vehicles as well.
- Each SAG vehicle will carry extra water, gels, powders, tubes, pumps, gas cartridges, common bike tools. SAG vehicles will not have a technical bike guru on board.
- SAG vehicles will stop around miles 50, 100, 125, 150 and 175 miles and for emergencies.
EVENT CUT-OFF LIMITS
- In order to ensure everybody (riders, organizers, supporters) enjoy the day, we need to enforce cut-off times based on mileage and time. These cut-offs will be strictly enforced with no exceptions. Really, none!
- Cut-off limits are as follows:
- 100 miles within 8 hours (1:30pm) - 12.5 mph avg (excl stops)
- 150 miles within 12 hours (5:30pm) - 12.5 mph avg (excl stops)
- 175 miles within 14 hours (7:30pm) - 12.5 mph avg (excl stops)
- 200 miles within 16 hours (9:30pm) - 12.5 mph avg (excl stops)
- You WILL be picked up if you miss the cut-off.
- Waiving pick-up will disqualify you from the event and support will be withdrawn.
AT THE FINISH
- Roll in to tumultuous applause and extreme admiration.
- Sign in at the finish line.
- Pick up your completion packet (t-shirt and 200 mile vehicle decal).
- Kick back with something to eat and drink (provided by the studs from Beach Bike Shop).
- After a rest, a meal and some well-deserved bragging, you're on your own to move on with the rest of your life.
- Each participant to arrange their own return trip home.
- Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/groups/287078961346775/
- Burlington Velo Club (www.burlingtonveloclub.com)
- Email: email@example.com
- Procceds from this event are used to establish an annual BVC scholarship fund for a local student who meets eligibility guidelines.
Regretfully we cannot offer refunds on any entry fees.