Bicycling magazine editors share the gear discoveries that transformed the way they ride.
1. Chamois Cream: Saddle sores hurt like hell, but they're entirely preventable.
TRY Assos Chamois Creme, $20
—Peter Flax, editor-in-chief
2. Wide Road Tires: Rubber that's 25mm (or wider) lets me run lower pressure and gives me more control.
TRY Vittoria Diamante Pro, $64
—Joe Lindsey, contributor
More: The Pros and Cons of 5 Power Meters
3. Base Layer: I ride more in winter now that I know how to layer.
TRY Craft Active Extreme with Windstopper, $120
—David Howard, executive editor
4. Floor Pump: A durable pump with a stable base makes that mandatory pre-ride tire-pressure check fast and easy.
TRY Blackburn's Air Tower 1, $30
5. Bib Shorts: These address one of my pet peeves: ill-fitting waistbands.
TRY Louis Garneau Neo Power Fit Bibshort, $140
—Christine Bucher, managing editor
6. Dropper Post: Lowering my saddle on tricky mountain bike trails gives me more confidence.
TRY RockShox Reverb, $384
—Louis Mazzante, articles editor