INTRODUCTION TO SELF-PUBLISHING
Start: Thursday, May 9, 2013
Culpeper , VA 22701
Do you have a secret wish to write the next Great American Novel? Are you a closet poet or playwright? Want to write a book about beekeeping or politics or the meaning of dreams?
Whatever your literary aspirations, it has never been easier to reach an audience. Self-publishing is NOT synonymous with vanity press. You do not need to invest a large sum of money to see your work in print.
Join local author Theresa Knight to learn the ABCs of self-publishing. She'll share the ups and downs of going indie and point out the mistakes commonly made by new authors.
Classes will cover:
Day 1 - overview
1) Why large publishing houses are closing/consolidating
2) How and why ebooks are rapidly gaining market share
3) The difference between "vanity press" and self-publishing
4) New breed of micro publishers and hybrids, specialty sites
5) The pros and cons of bypassing agents and publishers
6) Royalties, old and new payment structures
Day 2 ? Self-publishing is easy, perhaps too easy
1) What is a print-on-demand book? Lulu, CreateSpace, etc.
2) Ebook file formats explained, mobi, epub, pdf, etc...
3) Using Smashword's "meat-grinder"
4) Tools to publish on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, iBookstore
5) Copyrights, ISBNs, barcodes, and content ownership
6) Importance of a slick cover, where to find stock art
7) Finding an excellent editor is the MOST important step
8) Critique groups and writing partners
9) Indie jackpots, going viral, indie-to-trad success stories
10) A more realistic view, be in it for the long haul
Day 3 ? Marketing
1) Facebook ? fan pages vs. friend pages, building a base
2) Twitter, blogging, networking, websites, and blog tours
3) Goodreads author pages and giveaway promotions
4) Soliciting blogger reviews, how to up your chances
5) Kindle Select, the pros and cons of selectivity
6) Traditional media promotion opportunities
7) Book clubs, signings and other public events
The class instructor is local author Theresa Knight. A former journalist, a graphic designer, and mother of four, Ms. Knight writes romance novels under the pen name Kate Worth. Her debut novel, The Promise, is a suspenseful love story set in Victorian London., and was published in June, 2012.