Run For Rwanda 5K 2013
Start: Saturday, August 3, 2013 @ 8:00 AM (MDT)
Colorado Springs , CO 80918
Registration Closing Date
Thursday, August 1, 2013 @ 4:00 PM (MDT)
The Run for Rwanda is bringing together runners on two continents for an event that combines a fun, challenging 5K race and the opportunity to help loosen the grip of poverty on a needy African community.
Runners and walkers will simultaneously line up to run in Cottonwood Park in Colorado Springs on the streets of Kibali, Rwanda. All event proceeds will go to establish a health clinic and to fund other much-needed development programs in a rural community outside Byumba.
The race follows a mostly flat, accurate 5K (3.1 mile), two-loop route (one small loop, one large). Both loops are entirely within Cottonwood Creek park. The running surface is divided fairly evenly between dirt paths and paved walkways. The finish line is on grass.
Some members of the International Anglican Church visited Rwanda in 2006 and encountered the needs firsthand. (Some started many days running with locals through the Rwandan countryside.) This event and the programs it benefits have been planned in cooperation with Rwandan community leaders with whom IAC members have established strong relationships.
The race includes individual, barefoot, and team-challenge divisions. Run to meet your personal time or fitness goals or gather a group of friends, colleagues, church members, or high school teammates and compete in one of our team divisions (max eight per team; team scores are determined by the first three finishers’ times).
Awards will be presented in the following categories:
- Top two male and female finishers.
- Top male and female barefoot runners.
- Top three finishers in each age group.
- Top team in open co-ed and high school boys’ and girls’ divisions (awards go to scoring team members only).
- Highest individual sponsorship total.
Children's Fun Run:
Bring your children and stick around for the children's half-mile fun run (open to ages 10 and under). All participants receive a prize.
- Entry fee is $24 ($29 on race day)
- For every $25 in sponsorships raised, the fee decreases $5
- It’s free with $100 in sponsorships
- Entry fee includes a Run for Rwanda T-shirt.
- 5K entry fee for ages 18 and under: $15 with a T-shirt, $5 without.
- Note: Those who raise additional funds after registering on-line will have the appropriate portion of their entry fee refunded at packet pick-up the morning of the race.
- Children's fun run is free ($10 with T-shirt)
- Registration and packet pick-up opens at 6:30 AM.
- The race begins at 8:00 AM on August 3rd
- A children's fun run will follow at 9:30 AM.