The Wally Hayward Marathon is a tribute to one of South Africa’s greatest ever athletes that has been a fixture on the road running calendar for the past 40 years - run on Workers Day.
The Wally was first run on 30 June 1977 over 42.2 km, starting & finishing at Hoërskool Verwoerdburg. A 21.1 km, 10 km, 5km fun run and a 1 Km kiddies run were later added. Since 2005, the Wally has started and finished at Hoërskool Zwartkop, in Centurion.
In 2017 the event will have a new home i.e. Lewende Woord Church, which is witin walking distance of the school. The new finish venue has been one of the parking areas in the past and will now be the main parking area as well as the finish venue.
For the past few years, the kiddie’s 1 km race has been held to raise funds for SPCA, Tshwane.
According to Runner’s World magazine, the Wally is the third largest marathon in South Africa. Approximately 11 000 athletes participated in 2016 and even more are expected in 2017.
Event details and schedule
- Start Times:
- 42.2km - 6:30
- 21.1km - 6:30
- 10km - 6:45
- 4.9km - 7:00
- 1km - 9:00
- Entry fees (ZERO % Increase from 2016!!!)
- The entry fees (per distance) will be the same, irrespective of your entry method i.e. online, at the shops or at a race, with no additional processing fees for online entries.
- R160 for the full marathon (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R120 for the half marathon (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R90 for the 10km run (plus R30 for a Temporary License if you are not a member of a running club and were issued with an ASA License).
- R40 for the 4.9km fun run.
- R20 for the 1km kiddies run.
- Premium quality T-shirts
- A limited amount of premium quality 41st edition T-Shirts will be on sale at a fraction of the normal retail price thanks to our generous sponsors. Note that all proceeds of the T-shirt sales will be donated to our selected charity organisations. There are two options i.e. Short or Long Sleeve shirts.
- A special medal will be awarded to each finisher of the 4.9km, 10km, 21.1km and 42.2km event, within the cutoff time, limited to 11 000.
- Finishers of the marathon will be awarded a gold medal, finishers of the half marathon a silwer medal and finishers of the 5km and 10km will be awrded bronze medals (provided they finish within the time limits).
- Medals will be limited to 11 000.
- Rockets "Wally" shop
- A Rockets "Wally" shop will be available at the race venue on Sunday 30 April 2017 from 11h00 - 16h00, as well as on race day (Monday 1 May 2017) from 05h00 to 12h00.
- Number and T-shirt Collection (Pre-Entries)
- Pre-entry packs can be collected at the race venue on Sunday 30 April 2017 between 11h00 - 16h00, as well as on race day (Monday 1 May 2017) from 05h00 to 06h30.
- Virtual Event Bag (VEB)
- You will receive an email with a link to your VEB with your confirmation email when you enter.
- The VEB will be filled with e-vouchers and many more give-aways.
- The VEB will remain open until the 31st of May 2017, so claim your e-vouchers before then.
Alpha Centurion Runners and Walkers