Enjoy some of the finest scenery, most interesting history & unparalleled cycling in the northeastern United States on Cycling the Erie Canal. Join cyclists from all over the country and world on this ride along the historic and scenic Erie Canal – a National Heritage Corridor. You'll experience the canal in all its glory and hear fascinating stories about the people, places, and events that made the Erie Canal so important to the history of New York and the nation.
Great cycling – tnearly three-fourths on the off-road Canalway Trail
You'll cover an average of 50 miles per day - about three-fourths off-road on the traffic-free Canalway Trail, the rest on rural roads with good shoulders. This is a great tour for riders of all ages and abilities, including less-experienced cyclists and families. Most days, the route follows the canal along level ground. Expect some rolling hills in the Finger Lakes and some climbs in the Mohawk Valley.
Here’s what’s included:
- Wonderful scenic ride across Upstate New York - nearly three-fourths on the off-road Canalway Trail
- Camping accommodations every evening with showers and toilet facilities. Some campsites feature pools or lakes for swimming.
- Two refreshment stops daily stocked with fruit, snacks and beverages
- Entertainment each evening, including music and historical presentations
- Guided tours of the Canal, historic sites, museums, and other attractions, including the Women's Rights National Historic Park, Erie Canal Museum and Village, Fort Stanwix National Monument, and a boat tour through canal locks
- Kick-off reception and end-of-tour celebration
- Cycling the Erie Canal T-shirt and water bottle
- Baggage transport
- Sag wagon and expert bike mechanic
- Daily maps and cue sheets
- Painted and arrowed routes
- Additional services (fee) include fresh daily towels, gourmet coffee each morning, tent and air mattress rental and setup
- Recognition as an Erie Canalway Trail End-to-Ender
How much does the trip cost?
The full eight-day tour costs $675. Current Parks & Trails New York members as of January 1, 2014 can call 518-434-1583 for a discount. Children 5-17 years old, who must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian, pay a reduced fee for the full eight-day tour of $350. The fee for children under 5, who must be accompanied by a parent or adult guardian, is $150. The two-day weekend tours cost $350 for adults and $150 for youth (17 and under accompanied by an adult). Registration fees increase June 2.
Refunds, less a cancellation fee* will be issued with a written request if received by June 25. After that, only credits for future tours will be issued, less a cancellation fee, with a written request if received by July 7. No refunds and no changes for jersey orders or shuttle after June 25. *Cancellation fee is $75 before June 2 and increases to $125 on June 2.
Event schedule and times
Cycling the Erie Canal begins on Sunday, July 13, 2014 in Buffalo with pre-tour rides, registration, and reception on Saturday, July 12.
Parks & Trails New York