Mountaineering Series, Level 1 - Mountaineering Series, Level 1
Start: Saturday, May 4, 2013
Boulder , CO 80301
This five-day course is the perfect introduction to mountaineering. Don't let the winter months keep you inside. With plenty of climbing and skills work, individuals will learn the basic of mountaineering. This course is a great first step towards winter ascents, glaciated peaks, and expeditions.
Days 1-4: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Day 5: Starting time varies.
Meeting Location: Estes Park office
- Day 1: Snow travel skills - Learn how to travel as a roped team. Different ways of walking in crampons. Using a mountaineering axe properly and self-arrest a fall.
- Day 2: Alpine rock climbing skills or ice climb - If ice has formed the group will learn the skills needed to climb technical ice. If ice hasn't formed, the group will learn skills needed to climb rock in winter/colder temps.
- Day 3: Regular day climbing outing - We've worked on some great skills the past two day, now let's put them to use. We'll head out and climb a route that best suits the group and conditions.
- Day 4: Navigation/route preparation - After three days of climbing and working on skills, it is time for a bit of a break. Navigation is a necessary skill to have if you plan on spending any time in the mountains. We'll work on map and compass skills and prep for our big climb the next day.
- Day 5: Big mountaineering route - Time to head in and do a big mountaineering route utilizing all the skills we learned over the past 4 days.