Cycle To Farm is a tour of local farms by bicycle along a stunning route where riders enjoy tasty food samples crafted by the farmers and products for sale at every farm. Purchases are transported by volunteers and waiting for collection at the finish. And, of course, the ride is followed with a Fabulous After Party. Specifically:
In addition to the great Farm Stops, we’re going to take care of you, so you can challenge your abilities and stay safe.
This is what you can expect:
- Free locally-roasted coffee (Thanks Dynamite Coffee!)
- Bike mechanic support at the Start (Thanks Liberty Bikes!)
- SAG (Support and Gear) Vehicles on course (to help you out, and give you a ride back if necessary)
- Fire/EMS personnel on the course (motorcycles, vehicles)
- Event Ambassadors, riding with you to offer help and keep you on course
- Well-marked route and detailed cue sheet
- NEW for 2016 - each registered rider will receive a handmade beer cup crafted by Matt Jones and Dean Pieranunzi of Jones Pottery.
- Various goodies from Sponsors
- Coupons for discounts and freebies from Sponsors
Metric Century - Approximately 63 miles through beautiful country on (mostly) low-traffic roads
- Challenging route with plenty of climbing (cross the Eastern Continental Divide three times!)
- Approximate total elevation gain 5,300 feet
- Route link on RideWithGPS. This is the same route as 2013, 2014 & 2015.
- Almost all rural farmland
Innovative Farm Stops
What you know of as a conventional "Rest Stop" has been transformed into a Farm Stop:
- Located every 10-15 miles
- Tasty samples crafted by the farmers (no charge – these are included in Registration Fee)
- Great bike food too (fruit, bananas, PB&J, etc)
- Farmers available to answer your questions about their products and their Farm
- Buy anything you like on the spot; it will be delivered to you at the Finish (no delivery charge)
Fabulous After Party
Cycle to Farm events are renowned for the yummy farm-to-table meal at the Finish. You'll be joined by the volunteers, as well as some of the Farmers and sponsors, in celebration not only of your ride, but of the community that provides us with local food and a great event.
- FRESH Wood Fired Pizza will provide a locally-sourced and produced farm-to-table meal (no charge – these are included in Registration Fee)
- New Belgium Beer available for purchase
- Meals for spouses/family/friends are available — $14 adults / $7 kids (12 and under)
- More swag offered by sponsors
- Representatives from Black Mountain Greenways to answer your questions about their work (they receive the net profits from this event)
- And more great features coming soon...stay informed by signing up for the Cycle To Farm newsletter here
Keepin' It Small
- No more than 300 riders
- Safety improved with a smaller number of riders on the roads
- Taste your samples without excessive crowds at the Farm Stops
- Ensures that the smaller farms have enough product inventory for sale
And keeps the Fabulous After Party community-sized, instead of a zoo!
Event details and schedule
Friday, July 15, 2016 – PACKET PICK UP
Monte Vista Hotel
308 West State Street Black Mountain
5:00 PM until 8:00 PM
Stop by to get your bib number and your rider goodie bag; avoid the lines on Saturday morning.
Want to dine or stay (or both) at the Monte Vista? Make reservations early because they always sell out.
Saturday, July 16, 2016 – START/FINISH
Town Square Park in Black Mountain
120 E State St, Black Mountain, NC 28711
7:00 AM Packet Pick Up Opens
8:00 AM Ride Starts
12:00 PM until 5:00 PM Fabulous After Party
Velo Girl Rides LLC