- Race Results
Clearwater VIRTUAL Marathon
Start: Wednesday, March 6, 2013 @ 11:59 PM (EST)
Anywhere in the world
Anywhere , FL 33756
Anywhere , FL 33756
Registration Closing Date
Monday, March 4, 2013 @ 12:00 PM (EST)
This is an encore opportunity for virtual athletes to earn a finisher's medal from the relaunch of our CLEARWATER MARATHON.
To be candid, we are offering this opportunity because we have about 75 Clearwater Marathon medals left after our Clearwater Running Festival staged last month.
Our Clearwater Halfathon & Clearwater Marathon Virtual Runs were highly successful, with 320 registered athletes generating more than $5,000 in donations to several local non-profits. All our virtual runs are first and foremost fundraisers, as well as a chance to promote a healthy, active lifestyle. So rather than just have these medals waste away in a box, we thought we'd reduce the entry fee and recruit some virtual athletes who missed it the first time.
Net proceeds (after costs of bib, medal, shipping, administration) from this effort will be provided to the young parents of "Baby Lilly," who was born with Möbius syndrome, an extremely rare congenital neurological disorder characterized by facial paralysis and the inability to move the eyes from side to side.
This young couple is friends with my daughter - Joel and Lea often helped us over the years with bag stuffing, mailings, and registration. Proceeds will be provided to help with the child's medical and everyday living expenses.
Here is how our Virtual Run works:
1) Athletes register for the discounted fee of $30.
2) There are two ways to earn this Clearwater Marathon medal.
a) some of you already qualified if you ran the appropriate distance, 26.2 miles, during our original 16 day time-frame, which was January 12 - January 27. All that you need to do is register, post your runs during that period totaling more than 26.2 miles, and we will send your completion medal to you.
b) Complete 26.2 miles during the period from February 16 - March 3.
3) Athletes will have a generic bib number pdf sent via email. We would LOVE it if you wear your bib number while you complete your virtual run and it would be even better if you have some photos taken and share them with us.
4) These time periods are extended for several reasons: 1) many of our virtual athletes live in areas where weather will create obstacles too severe to run safely; 2) athletes participating in other popular races can "double-dip" - earning extra bling for the same run; 3) this time-frame offers achievable goals for beginners who need consistency - perhaps we can provide some added motivation.
5) For the purposes of this virtual run, you may complete your mileage in one run or you can split it up over the 16 days - your choice. If that time span seems too easy, please remember our goals are to promote a healthy, active lifestyle AND to raise $$$ for local non-profits.
6) Please share your results, experience and photos at our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/523249147699834. Your results will NOT be recorded as official results, nor will you be eligible for age group awards or rankings. It is not necessary to send us emails to report results, but you are certainly welcome to share your comments with us.
7) As this virtual run is completely on the honor system, you are NOT required to submit your results, however we LOVE reading your stories of triumph, so please post your run at the above Facebook page.
8) We will send you an official finisher medal from our 8th Annual Clearwater Marathon. These are gorgeous custom-made medals, measuring 4" across for the marathon, along with custom ribbons. Medals will be sent to virtual runners within 3-4 days of registration.
Thank you for participating in our virtual run - it will be very much appreciated by the parents of "Baby Lilly."
Chris Lauber, Race Director
727 347-4440 Voicemail