- Race Results
We're sorry, but this activity is over. The last meeting was Thursday, April 10, 2014.
Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced levels are filled with fun and safety while addressing the fundamentals of floating, gliding, competitive and resting strokes, treading and diving. Safety in and around the pool and other bodies of water are highlighted in safety topics throughout the course of lessons.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of Intermediate 3 and/or demonstration of all Intermediate 3 certification requirements on the first day of lessons.
Intermediate 4 will be focusing on furthering backstroke and freestyle endurance as well as introducing the butterfly, sidestroke, and standing dives from the side of the pool.
Swimmers will learn the following:
· Swim underwater 5 yards to retrieve a submerged object
· Rotary breathing
· Flutter kick (on front and back) in streamline position for 15 yards
· Breaststroke kick (on front) for 15 yards
· Dolphin kick for 15 yards
· Scissors kick (on side) for 15 yards
· Freestyle (with rotary breathing), backstroke and elementary backstroke for 25 yards
· Breaststroke and sidestroke for 15 yards
· Butterfly (full stroke, with dolphin kick) for 10 yards
· Freestyle and backstroke open turns
· Treading water (in deep water) for 1 minute
· Standing dive
· Feet-first surface dive, submerging completely
· Front float (survival float), face in water, for 1 minute
· Back float, ears in water, for 1 minute
Swim Lesson Information
The swim lessons offered through Lakes Area Recreation are designed to teach participants lifelong swimming skills and provide training in basic water safety and how to help a swimmer in distress. In addition to the skills outlined under each level, swim lesson courses are intended to provide a positive learning experience so participants can feel comfortable and enjoy the water safely.
Because our courses are progressive, with each level building on the skills previously learned, the prerequisite for each level is the successful demonstration of the skills from the preceding level, with the exception of Beginner 1. To ensure participants are placed in the appropriate swim level, the first day of lessons is for skill level assessment. Participants will be expected to successfully demonstrate all of the completion requirements for the previous level before being able to continue on in the level they are enrolled in.
Participants will be transferred up or down a level that is more appropriate and better suited to meet their skill level and needs if the prerequisite skills are not me the first day of class. Please try to place your child in the appropriate level! Lakes Area Recreation does keep track year to year - if you are unsure of your child's placement, please call the LAR office and speak with the Aquatics Director.
Swim Lesson Policies
· There are no makeup lessons.
· Minimum enrollment for each class is three students. Classes may be cancelled or combined due to low enrollment. Lakes Area Recreation reserves the right to make program and schedule changes, or to cancel a class with an insufficient amount of participants registered.
· All fees are nonrefundable except in the case of illness documented by a physician or cancellation by Lakes Area Recreation. A transaction fee of $2 will be assessed for transfers to other sessions or class times that are not the result of a decision made by Lakes Area Recreation staff.
· Parents are not allowed on the pool deck at any time during the course of lessons - the Aquatics Manager and instructors are available before and after classes for questions and comments.
Intermediate 4 Swim Lessons #6350.302
Standard charge: $50.00
From March 31, 2014 to April 10, 2014
Each Monday from 7pm to 7:45pm
Each Tuesday from 7pm to 7:45pm
Each Wednesday from 7pm to 7:45pm
Each Thursday from 7pm to 7:45pm
7pm to 7:45pm
Pool Swim Lessons
Activity Other Category
Standard registration opens: Mar 3, 2014 9:00 AM
Last day for standard registration: Mar 31, 2014 9:00 AM
Internet registration opens: Feb 28, 2014 9:00 AM
Last day for Internet registration: Mar 31, 2014 8:00 AM
Full. Waiting List registration is open. 4 persons are on waiting list.
5 and up
Pool - Discovery Middle School at Discovery Middle School
Lakes Area Recreation
Map & Direction
Monday, March 31, 2014 @ 7:00 PM (CDT)
Discovery Middle School 510 McKay Ave. North Alexandria, MN 56308Get Directions