Holiday Safety Tips for Pets

Plants

From lilies to holly, these plants make a home feel festive and cozy. But your four-legged friend might be curious and nibble on a leaf or flower. You may want to avoid using the following items or place them where your pet can't reach.

  • Lilies: Usually found in holiday flower arrangements. Many types of lilies, such as Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Easter, Stargazer and Casa Blanca, can cause kidney failure in your pet. Even drinking the water from the vase can be hazardous.
  • Poinsettias: If ingested, poinsettias can be irritating to the mouth and stomach, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea.
  • Mistletoe: If consumed, it can cause cardiovascular problems. However, many cases of mistletoe ingestion usually give your animal gastrointestinal upset.
  • Holly: This may cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and/or lethargy.

Hazards Around the Christmas Tree

A dog is always curious and may want to sniff out decorations or Christmas tree water. Make sure you keep an eye Fido as he investigates because the following can cause serious internal issues.

  • Christmas tree water: The water from your Christmas tree may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested, can cause an upset stomach. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds for bacteria, which can lead to vomiting, nausea and diarrhea, if ingested.
  • Electric cords: Cover up or hide electric cords, never let your pet chew on them. If chewed, they could electrocute your pet.
  • Ribbons or tinsel: Ribbon or tinsel can get caught up in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction.
  • Batteries: Batteries contain corrosives, an acid or bases, a substance that can cause damage or destroy another substance by contact. If ingested, corrosives may cause ulceration to the mouth, tongue and the rest of the gastrointestinal tract.
  • Glass ornaments: If your pet nibbles on ornaments, they can cut the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract.

More: 12 Dog-Friendly Apps

About the Author

Discuss This Article

Follow your passions

Connect with ACTIVE.COM