Velvety Sweet Potato Soup
Healthy recipe from Jackie Newgent, RD, 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes, Wiley, 2012
Makes 7 cups or 7 servings
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, scrubbed, finely diced
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 (15-oz.) can no-salt-added Great Northern or butter beans, drained
- 3/4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 8 tsp ground cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tsp unsalted butter (optional)
- Fresh rosemary or sage, for garnish (optional)
Combine all the ingredients except the butter and optional garnish in a large saucepan or stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the potato and onion are fully softened, about 25 minutes.
Blend until smooth using an immersion blender. (Alternatively, puree in a blender in batches using the hot fill line as a guide, and return to the saucepan over low heat.) Adjust the seasoning and stir in the butter (if using).
Ladle into individual bowls and serve. If desired, garnish with fresh rosemary or sage.
Nutritional Information: (Serving size: 1 cup) 100 calories; 0.5 g total fat (0 g saturated; 0 g trans fat) ; 0 mg cholesterol; 570 mg sodium; 20 g carbs (5 g sugars); 6 g fiber; 3 g protein.