Cold Cucumber Mint Soup
1 1/2 pound peeled and chopped cucumbers
1 cup chopped mint
1/4 cup chopped chives
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 1/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- In a blender container combine cucumber, mint, chives and garlic and puree until smooth.
- Pour cucumber mixture into a large bowl and whisk in remaining ingredients and chill in refrigerator for two hours to four hours.
Makes 6 (3/4-cup) servings, each containing approximately:
7 grams of carbohydrate
0 mg. cholesterol
3 grams of protein
314 mg. sodium
1 grams of Fiber
Strawberry, Chicken and Arugula Salad
Panzanella Salad Dressing:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoon minced shallots
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 4-oz. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
4 slices multi-grain bread
2 tablespoons olive oil or olive oil spray
2 cups sliced strawberries
3 cups baby arugula
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for dressing and set aside.
- Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil chicken breast for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Cool completely and dice.
- Evenly spray bread with olive oil spray or brush with 2 tablespoons of olive oil on both sides. Grill bread slices until toasted. Dice bread into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, strawberries and arugula. Whisk dressing until well mixed. Toss salad with dressing and grilled bread just before serving.
- Divide salad into four servings and place in salad bowls.
Makes 4 servings, each containing approximately:
42 gm. carbohydrate
12 gm. fat
72 mg. cholesterol
33 gm. protein
510 mg. sodium
5 gm. fiber
Canyon Ranch pioneered the evolution of wellness lifestyle and has been an industry leader for 30 years. Lead by a team of expert physicians and other health and wellness specialists, Canyon Ranch operates the world's most celebrated collection of life-enhancement properties with the goal to inspire people to make a commitment to healthy living.
Chrissy Wellington is co-author of Navigating the Supermarket: A Nutritious Guide to Shopping Well. To pick up a copy of her book, please visit willpowermatrix.com/public/120.cfm.