Mate contains half the caffeine of coffee and twice the antioxidants as green and black tea. The yerba mate plant comes from South America—its leaves and stems are dried and brewed to make the healthful drink that is gaining popularity in America. The combination of caffeine, antioxidants, and a wide range of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and phytonutrients makes mate the most balanced stimulant. Mate has a unique flavor, sometimes bittersweet and sometimes smoky, depending on the way it is processed.
Yerba mate I recommend:
- Guayaki Yerba Mate: Traditional Mate
- This is the basic mate--all organic with an earthy flavor. This one gives me a great energy boost without the jitters I often get when I drink coffee.
- Guayaki Yerba Mate: Mate Chocolatt?
- A blend of cocoa, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and stevia. This one is sweet and rich, without the calories and additives of hot chocolate. I like it with milk or soy milk for a "mate latte."
- Eco Teas: Organic Yerba Mate
- Another basic mate that offers a healthy boost of energy.