White tea goes through no oxidation. To prevent oxidation, it is air-dried immediately after being picked, then steamed or fired. This tea has a much lighter taste and color than others. Because the tea is so subtle, it is best paired with lighter fruits, flowers and flavors to prevent overpowering the tea. It has also been noted in many studies to have the highest levels of antioxidants of the tea varieties.
White teas I recommend:
- The Republic of Tea: Honeydew Melon White Tea
- The simple mixture of pure white tea and natural honeydew melon flavor make this one of my favorite teas.
- Celestial Seasonings: Antioxidant Plum White Tea
- This tea has a sweet, subtle flavor--another one of my favorites.
- Numi: Velvet Garden White Rose
- The subtle, flowery flavor of this tea is soothing and relaxing.
- Trader Joes: Pomegranate White Tea
- I recommend this tea for those who like very tart flavors.