Preventing Hip Alignment Issues
Prevention of hip alignment issues or recurrences involves avoiding some of the behaviors mentioned above, through such steps as:
- Strength training: Single-leg exercises such as pistol squats are particularly helpful for working through muscular imbalances.
- Regular massage: Prevent muscular tightness from affecting your form by regularly working out adhesions.
- Run on flat surfaces: This can be tricky, but you should run in the middle of the road when possible. When it's not possible, try to alternate sides of the road when possible.
- Watch your posture: Maintaining good posture is one of the things we can do during our work day (or everyday lives) that helps with our running.
- Be conscious of your pattern: If you instinctively carry heavy loads on the same side all the time (purses or other bags), get in the habit of alternating sides.
Given that hip misalignment is so easy to develop and therefore pretty common, all runners would do well to pay attention to their habits that may contribute to this issue, and do what they can to avoid it from happening.
This article first appeared on Predawn Runner.
Find your next race.