Places to Go
In addition to the cycling and running options already mentioned, there are some swimming options available if you need to get a pool workout in.
One of the best places to swim laps is at Colman Pool in West Seattle. It is an Olympic-sized heated saltwater pool that is open during the summer months.
The pool is right on the shoreline of the Puget Sound, so it doubles as a scenic locale.
Other places to swim:
- For open-water swimming, Lake Washington is popular among triathletes in the summer months. Get a workout in at Madison Park Beach or at Seward Park.
- If you're downtown, Seattle Executive Fitness has a 25-meter pool on the 14th floor of the Seattle Municipal Tower.
- Lake Sammamish east of town also attracts open water swimmers (and it tends to warm up a little faster than other lakes).
Races to Remember
The Seafair Triathlon in July has both sprint and Olympic-distance races at Seward Park on the shores of Lake Washington.
The tri is part of a celebrated Seafair summer festival, a month-long event.
The Olympic-distance tri is a 1-mile run, 20-mile bike ride and a 6.2-mile run. The sprint tri is a 1/2-mile swim, 12-mile bike ride and 3.1-mile run. A kids triathlon, complete with a swimming course that is shallow enough to touch if needed, also highlights the weekend.
Other races include:
- Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens in July takes place about 45 minutes north of downtown Seattle.
- The Issaquah Triathlon takes place at Lake Sammamish State Park and is a sprint distance.
Stores to Check Out
Speedy Reedy, 1300-C N. Northlake Way, is a triathlon-specific shop in the Wallingford neighborhood. They cater to all three disciplines of the sport, in addition to meeting sports nutrition needs, books and other accessories. In addition, they rent wetsuits, bike travel cases and race wheels. They also do bike repairs and bike fits.
Another store to check out:
- Mr. Crampy's Multisport, 15806 Bear Creek Parkway in Redmond
One Last Tip
Pauole Sport has a 130-member triathlon team led by Kainoa Pauole-Roth and welcomes guests to join in on group bike rides and swim practices. Visit PauoleSport.com to learn more.