Paschimottoanasana - Seated Forward Fold
Benefits: Stretches hamstrings and spine.
- Straighten your legs.
- Sit with your back straight.
- Use your hand to move your sits bones away from your heels.
- Begin to hinge forward leading with your heart.
- Make sure to keep your back straight and try to reach for your feet. It's okay if you need to bend your knees as you fold forward. The key is to make sure your back is straight and flat, not curved.
- Keep breathing and feel the stretch in your hamstrings and back.
- Hold for one to three minutes.
- Inhale and lift your torso up by utilizing your core and pulling the tailbone down.
Ardha-matsyendrasana - Spinal Twist
Benefits: Improves flexibility, stretches back muscles and hips, and massages abdominal organs
- Keep your feet flat and back straight.
- Place right palm behind your buttocks, left hand is placed on the right armrest.
- Your body will naturally turn, use your left arm to pull your body and look over your right shoulder.
- Hold for one to three minutes and repeat on the other side.
Sign up for a yoga class.
Fara Rosenzweig is an online editor for active.com